| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Browse and search Google Drive and Gmail attachments (plus Dropbox and Slack files) with a unified tool for working with your cloud files. Try Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) for free. Now available on the web, Mac, Windows, and as a Chrome extension!

View
 

Detroit 1809-1899

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 10 years ago

(Wayne County and Detroit have a vast and complex newspaper publishing history. The very size of it and work involved has kept me from completing these sections. I'm not done yet, though working hard at it, but I thought I would add what I've done so far. I've included almost no entries from some of the larger newspaper families, yet.)

 

 

Michigan Essay or the Impartial Observer began publishing on Aug. 31, 1809 by James M. Miller. This first newspaper in the state was published on the press of Father Gabriel. It was in English and French. Rumors suggest that it published between 4 and 8 issues, but only the first issue has ever been located.

 

Detroit Gazette began publishing on July 25, 1817 by Sheldon & Reed. A later publisher was Sheldon McKnight.

 

Michigan Herald began publishing on May 10, 1825 by Henry Chipman & Joseph Seymour. It ceased on Apr. 30, 1829.

 

Northwestern Journal began publishing on Nov. 20,1829 by George L. Whitney. It was Whig. It cased on Nov. 17, 1830 and was continued by Detroit Journal and Michigan Advertiser.

 

Detroit Journal and Michigan Advertiser began publishing on  Nov. 24, 1830 by George L. Whitney. For a while it also published a triweekly edition. It ceased on Jan. 14, 1835 and merged with The Detroit Courier to form Detroit Journal and Courier.

 

The Detroit Courier began publishing on Dec. 23, 1830 by Stephen Wells. It was anti-Masonic. It ceased on Jan. 14, 1835 and merged with Detroit Journal and Advertiser to form Detroit Journal and Courier.

 

Democratic Free Press and Michigan Intelligencer began publishing on May 5, 1831 by Sheldon McKnight. It was Democratic. It ceased on  Nov. 22, 1832 and was continued by Democratic Free Press.

 

Democratic Free Press began publishing on  Nov. 28, 1832 by Sheldon McKnight. Over its history it also published daily and semiweekly editions. It ceased circa Jan. 10, 1848 and was continued by Detroit Free Press.

 

Journal and Advertiser began publishing circa Sept. 1835. It was semi-weekly. A tri-weekly edition began on Aug. 28, 1835.

 

Daily Advertiser began publishing on June 11, 1836 by George L. Whitney. It was at times owned and published by several significant names in Michigan’s early publishing history including: Morgan Bates, George W. Wisner, and Rufus Hosmer. It later also published semi-weeekly, and tri-weekly editions. It ceased circa 1862.

 

The Michigan State Register began publishing on July 1, 1836 by George Corselius and George L. Whitney. It published twice a month.

 

Detroit Evening Spectator and Literary Gazette began publishing on Oct. 20, 1836 by Benjamin Kingsbury, Jr. & George P. Burnham. It published twice a week. It ceased circa May 20, 1838.

 

The Michigan Observer began publishing on June 17, 1837 by “An Association.”

 

The Spy in Michigan began publishing on June 12, 1837 by Morgan Bates. It ceased on Nov. 14, 1838. It was Whig.

 

Detroit Morning Post and Craftsman of Michigan began publishing circa 1837 by G.R. Griswold & E.J. Roberts. After Apr. 27, 1839 it became Detroit Evening Post and Craftsman of Michigan. A weekly edition was also published.

 

Spirit of '76. and Theller's Daily Republican Advocate began publishing circa Aug. 1839 edited by E.A. Theller. It ceased circa Oct. 15, 1840.

 

Democratic Republican began publishing circa 1839 by J.S. & S.A. Bagg.

 

Detroit Advertiser—Extra published during 1840 as a Whig campaign paper during the presidential election.

 

The Trumpet began publishing on Sept. 11, 1841 by M. Bates. It ceased circa 1841.

 

Michigan Christian Herald began publishing on Jan. 1842 under the Board of the Baptist State Convention. It began as a monthly, published semimonthly for 1843-1844 and as a weekly till it ceased in 1867. In 1861 it moved to Kalamazoo.

 

Detroit Daily Times began publishing on May 14, 1842 by W. Isham. It ceased circa Nov. 1842.

 

Constitutional Democrat began publishing on May 25, 1842 by Carrier, Briggs & Co. It ceased circa July 1844 and was continued by Daily Constitutional.

 

Detroit Daily Gazette began publishing on Dec. 19, 1842 by Sheldon McKnight. It ceased circa 1845.

 

The Vineyard began publishing circa 1843 by Ebenezer McDowall. By 1846 it was called American Vineyard published by Edward D. Ellis. It ceased circa May 19, 1848.

 

The Michigan Farmer began publishing circa 1844 by D.D.T. Moore.

 

Daily Constitutional began publishing on July 27, 1844 by Edward D. Ellis. It ceased circa 1845.

 

The Union began publishing on Aug. 15, 1844 by Geiger & Christian. It published semiweekly during the 1844 presidential campaign. It was Whig.

 

Allgemeine Zeitung von Michigan began publishing circa Sept. 1844 by T.B. Ruehle. It was in German.

 

The Evangelical Observer began publishing circa 1845 by Geiger & Christian. It published every two weeks.

 

Staats zeitung von Michigan began publishing circa 1845. By 1847 it was published by A. Kaminzky. It was in German. It was absorbed by Michigan Volksblatt.

 

Detroit Evening Express began publishing on June 4, 1845 by W. Smyth & O.S. Gulley.

 

Daily News began publishing on July 7, 1845 by Hedges, Campbell, Geiger & Solis. It ceased circa 1873.

 

Daily Vine began publishing circa July 1846 edited by E. McDowall.

 

The Peninsular Freeman began publishing circa 1848 by Robert M'Bratney and James D. Liggett. It ceased and was absorbed by the Detroit Weekly Tribune.

 

Detroit Daily Commercial Bulletin began publishing on May 28, 1848 by D. Munger & G.W. Pattison. Weekly and tri-weekly editions were also published. It ceased on Apr. 16, 1852.

 

The Olive Branch began publishing on Oct. 6, 1848.

 

The Detroit Tribune began publishing on Nov. 19, 1849 by Josiah Snow and Henry Barns. It was Whig. It was later under the management of George E. Pomery and Joseph Warren and played a significant role in the formation of the Republican Party in 1854.

 

Der Michigan Volksfreund began circa Jan. 1849 by Dr. Rudolph. It was Democratic and in German.

 

Western Farmer began publishing on Dec. 5, 1849 by G.W. Pattison.

 

The North-Western Advocate began publishing circa 1850 by F.B. Way & Co.

 

 Our Flag began publishing circa Jan. 1851 by J.A. Roys. It was monthly.

 

 The Scott Reveille was publishing by Aug. 19, 1852 by Duncklee & Wales. It was Whig and published during the 1852 election campaign.

 

Michigan Free Democrat began publishing circa Aug. 1852 by Rev. Seymour A. Baker. It was a Free Soil paper. It was likely continued by Detroit Daily Democrat.

 

The Volksblatt began publishing on May 1, 1853 by Schimmel & Bro. It published both daily and weekly editions. It was in German.

 

Detroit Daily Democrat was publishing by 1854 by Baker & Conover. It ceased on Feb. 3, 1855 and merged with Detroit Daily Inquirer to form Detroit Daily Democrat & Inquirer.

 

Detroit Daily Inquirer began publishing on Jan. 13, 1854 by Rufus Hosmer and Theodore Williams. It also published as Detroit Weekly Inquirer. It ceased in early 1855 when it merged with Detroit Daily Democrat to form Detroit Daily Democrat and Inquirer.

 

Detroit Daily Democrat and Inquirer began publishing on Feb. 5, 1855 by Conover & Johnstone. It ceased on Jan. 2, 1856 and was absorbed by Daily Advertiser.

 

The Michigan Journal began publishing on June 13, 1855 by Casper Butz and later by U & C. Marrhausen. It was in German. It published both daily and weekly editions, the latter titled Wöchentliches Michigan Journal. It was Republican. It ceased circa Mar. 1876 and was likely continued by Michigan Journal und Herold.

 

The Advertiser began publishing circa July 1855 by R.F. Johnson and Rufus Hosmer. It ceased circa July 8, 1862 when it merged with The Tribune to form The Advertiser and Tirbune.

 

The Firemen's Journal began publishing circa 1856. By 1858 it was published by George W. Pattison. In its masthead read “Devoted to the interests of firemen, Literature, Fine Arts, Miscellaneous and General News.”

 

The Military Journal began publishing circa late 1859 by Frederic Speed. This semimonthly described itself as “The only military paper in the West.”

 

The Detroit Guardian began publishing circa early 1860 by Thomas Charles Fitzgibbon.

 

The Detroit Democrat began publishing on Aug. 8, 1860 by E. Hawley, Jr.

 

Michigan Volksblatt began publishing circa Nov. 1860 by Math. Kramer & Co. It was a German language daily. It absorbed Michigan Staats-Zeitung. It ceased circa 1915.

 

The Detroit Commercial Advertiser began publishing circa 1861 by William H. Burk. It ceased by 1867 and was continued by Detroit Commercial Advertiser and Michigan Home Journal.

 

Democratic Farmer began publishing circa early 1862 by John Slater. This monthly ceased on Jan. 23, 1863.

 

The Advertiser and Tribune began publishing on July 8, 1862 by Geiger & Scripps.

 

The People's Union Press began publishing on Sept. 30, 1862. It published twice a week.

 

The Detroit Free Union began publishing on July 18, 1863 by Frederick B. Porter. It ceased circa 1864 when it was purchased by The Advertiser and Tribune.

 

The New World began publishing circa 1863 by New World Pub. Co.

 

The Detroit Weekly Argus began publishing circa late 1863.

 

The Workingman's Advocate began publishing in Chicago circa 1864 by Blake & Hayde.  It was published simultaneously in Detroit from Dec. 30, 1871 to Oct. 13, 1877 when it ceased. It was the official organ of the Industrial Congress of the United States.

 

The Western Rural began publishing circa early 1864 by H. N. F. Lewis. It eventually was published simultaneously in Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City, Mo., and Columbus, Ohio. It ceased on Sept. 15, 1883.

 

The Shrapnel began publishing Aug. 6, 1864 by S.B. McCracken. It was a campaign paper.

 

The Detroit Journal of Commerce began publishing circa 1865 by S.K. Miller.

 

Detroit Daily Union began publishing on July 4, 1865 by Union Print. Co. It was begun by

workers striking against Detroit printers. It ceased on July 27, 1876.

 

The Index & R.R. Guide began publishing circa 1866 by Tunis' Print and Stationery Co.

 

The Detroit Daily Post began publishing on Mar. 27, 1866 by company of Republican party members. It also published weekly and tri-weekly editions.

 

Familien-Blätter began publishing on July 1, 1866 by August Marxhausen. It was in German. It was the weekly edition of Tägliche Detroit Abend-Post. It ceased circa 1934.

 

Tägliche Detroit Abend-Post began publishing on Sept. 1, 1868 by August Marxhausen. It was a German language daily. Later title variations include Detroiter Abend-Post.

 

The Western Catholic began publishing circa Sept. 1868 by David Barry & Co.

 

The Home Messenger began publishing Dec. 1868 by the Board of Managers of the Home of the Friendless. It was a monthly.

 

Detroiter Sonntags-Zeitung began publishing circa Apr. 1869 by C. Marxhausen. This Sunday paper was a German language, weekly supplement to Michigan Journal.

 

Michigan Farmer and State Journal of Agriculture began publishing on May 15, 1869 by Johnstone & Gibbons. It ceased on Aug. 12, 1905 and was continued by Michigan Farmer and Livestock Journal.

 

L'impartial = The Impartial began publishing on Nov. 20, 1869 by the Franco-American Print and Pub. Co. and edited by Médéric Lanctot. It was in French and English. It ceased circa Feb. 1870 and may have been continued by Anti-Roman Advocate.

 

Michigan Land Journal began publishing circa 1871 by Horatio Crain. It was a monthly.

 

Dorkey's Literary and Political Weekly began publishing circa Dec. 1871 by Benjamin Dorkey.

 

The Leather Apron began publishing on July 1872 under the auspices of the Central Grant & Wilson Club of Detroit. This monthly said it would “do what it can to aid in the election of Grant and Wilson, by presenting in a plain way, their claims to the suffrages of the American people.”

 

The Western Home Journal began publishing on Sept. 28, 1872 by James O’Brien. It was a Catholic Church publication. It ceased on Dec. 29, 1882 and was continued by Michigan Catholic.

 

The Evening News began publishing on Aug. 23, 1873 by James E. Scripps. It absorbed The Daily Union circa July 1874. On Aug. 5, 1905 it merged with Detroit Tribune and continued as Detroit News.

 

The Scientific Manufacturer began publishing circa Sept. 1873 by R.A. Sprague. It was a monthly.

 

Our Dioceses began publishing on Nov. 1873 by Rev. J.T. Webster. This monthly was the official organ of the Episcopal Church in Michigan.

 

The Herald and Torchlight began publishing in Kalamazoo on Jan. 1, 1873 by Rev. L.H. Trowbridge. It moved to Detroit on Nov. 11, 1873. It ceased on Dec. 28, 1876 and was continued by Christian Herald.

 

The Public Leader began publishing on May 1, 1874 by the Leader Pub. Co. It was “the organ of the wine, beer and liquor trade of the northwest.” At times it published under the shorter title The Leader. It ceased circa the 1890s.

 

The Daily Sun began publishing on Oct. 3, 1874 by the Sun Co.

 

The Michigan Christian Advocate began publishing circa Jan. 1875 by the Methodist Pub. Co.

 

Truth for the People began publishing on Jan. 1, 1875 by Margaret J.E. Miller. It described itself as “Devoted to Temperance, Religion, Literature, and Home Interests.” It ceased by 1879 and was continued by Michigan Truthteller.

 

Die Stiemme der Wahrheit began publishing circa 1875. By 1917 it was published by E. Andries. It was in German.

 

Detroit Weekly Price Current began publishing circa late 1875 by Price Current Pub. Co.

 

Michigan Journal und Herold began publishing circa Apr. 1876 by Cornehl & Coleman. It was in German. Around Sept. 1888 its title was shortened to Journal und Herold.

 

The Christian Herald began publishing on Jan. 4, 1877 by Rev. L.H. Trowbridge. The Baptist paper occasionally published under the title Michigan Christian Herald.

 

Wayne County Tidings began publishing circa 1877. By Aug. 1879 it was published by Pratt & Harris.

 

Detroit Society News began publishing circa 1878.

 

The Detroit National began publishing circa early 1878.

 

The Echo began publishing on Oct. 15, 1878 edited by James E. Scripps. It may have been a weekly edition of the Evening News.

 

The Michigan Homestead began publishing on Nov. 14, 1878 by the Homestead Pub. Co.

 

The Penny Times began publishing on Dec. 7, 1878. It was a daily.

 

The Michigan Sun began publishing circa early 1879 by H.N. Mather. It also published a Sunday Sun edition.

 

Public Spirit was publishing by July 1879 by a company of the same name. It described itself as “A satirical and humorous weekly journal.”

 

The Sunday Pursuivant began publishing circa late 1879 by Talbot & Burnham.

 

Michigan Truthteller was publishing by Nov. 1879 by F.H. Burgess.

 

The Sunday Herald and Pursuivant began publishing circa late 1879 by Talbot & Co. By 1880 it had dropped  Pursuivant from the title and was published by J.F. Burnham.

 

The Rational Appeal began publishing circa 1880 by S.B. McCracken.

 

Every Saturday began publishing circa early 1880 by Charles Moore and Charles M. Parker. Later that year the title was lengthened to Detroit Every Saturday.

 

Detroit Gazette began publishing circa 1880. This Monday morning paper was “Devoted to Society and Church Intelligence, Local matters, Art and Literature.”

 

Our Churches began publishing on Dec. 25, 1880 by M.L. Wilson. “Devoted to religion, literature, art and news.”

 

The People’s Advocate published circa 1880s by M.E. Dowling.

 

The Patriotic American began publishing circa 1881 by William James Henry Traynor. It was anti-Catholic.

 

Detroit Railway Advertiser began publishing circa 1881 by Williams & Frink. “For daily circulation by the Union News Company and R.R. News Company on the above roads.” By July 1881 it merged with Detroit Hotel Reporter to form Detroit Daily Railway Advertiser and Hotel Reporter.

 

“Chaff” began publishing circa Mar. 1881 by McDonald & Brezee. “A journal devoted to Art, Literature, Music, the Drama, Society and Sport.”

 

Detroit Daily Railway Advertiser and Hotel Reporter was publishing by July 1881 by Williams & Traynor. Its title was later shortened to Hotel and Railway Advertiser.

 

Sunday World began publishing circa 1882.

 

The Michigan Catholic began publishing on Jan. 6, 1883 edited by Wm. H. Hughes.

 

The Plaindealer began publishing on May 16, 1883 by Plaindealer Co. In the 18902 this African American paper was published simultaneously in Detroit and Cleveland, Ohio. It ceased circa 1895.

 

Detroit Commercial began publishing circa 1883 by Commercial Pub. Co.

 

The Detroit Times began publishing circa 1883 by Times Pub. Co. It was a daily.

 

Der Herold began publishing circa 1884. By 1898 it was published by F.A. Draeger. It described itself as “Officielles organ der Central Labor Union und Deutschen Gewerkschaften fortschrittlicher Richtung.”

 

Truth began publishing circa 1884. By 1901 it was published by Burch & LaRiviere. It was the official organ of the Liquor Dealers of Michigan.

 

Michigan Prohibitionist began publishing on Aug. 28, 1884 with John Russell as editor. It ceased on Apr. 16, 1885 and was continued by The Center.

 

Gazeta Narodowa began publishing on Oct. 30, 1884 by J. Zawisza & J. Piotrowski.

 

The Center began publishing circa 1885 with Frank B. Cresset as editor. “State Organ of all Michigan Temperance Societies.”

 

Michigan State Democrat began publishing circa July 23, 1885 by M.T. Woodruff.

 

The Evening Sun began publishing circa 1886 by Sun Co. After Jan. 20, 1892 the title was shortened to The Sun and was published by David Pryse Mackay. The Sunday edition was The Sunday Sun.

 

The Detroit Mercury began publishing on Feb. 13, 1886 by Charles Maxwell Parker.

 

Illustrated Graphic News began publishing circa July 1886 by Graphic Press.

 

The Detroit Hornet began publishing circa Sept. 1887 by the Hornet Pub. Co.

 

The Critic began publishing on Nov. 23, 1889 by Sidney Corbett, Jr. Its title was later lengthened to Detroit Critic and became a daily circa 1891.

 

Detroit Northside Gazette began publishing circa 1890 by R.M. Lamoreaux. Its title was shortened to Detroit Gazette circa 1900.

 

The Libel News began publishing on Apr. 9, 1894 by Libel News.

 

The Detroit Journal Semi-Weekly was publishing by May 1894. It ceased and was continued by Detroit Journal and Commercial Advertiser.

 

The Citizen began publishing circa 1895 by James P. Murtagh. “Official organ of the Detroit Workingmen.” Its title was later lengthened to Detroit Citizen.

 

Detroit Republic began publishing circa 1895 J. Monroe Johnson. “The official colored Republican organ of the state.”

 

The People began publishing circa 1895 by the People Pub. Co.

 

The Evening Press began publishing circa Oct. 1895 by Press Pub Co. It ceased on Jan. 8, 1896.

 

The Detroit Informer began publishing circa 1897. It was an African American newspaper.

 

City Life began publishing on Feb. 21, 1897 by City Life Pub. Co.

 

The Detroit Sentinel began publishing on May 1, 1897 by W.D. Mahon & Co. It supported the work of organized labor.

 

Greater Detroit began publishing circa Sept. 1897 by Allan C. Rastall.

 

Swoboda began publishing on Oct. 29, 1897 edited by Dr. J. Howiecki. It was in Polish.

 

Detroit City Advertiser began publishing circa late 1899 by M.A. Must[a]rd, C.K. Rowe

 

FrontPage

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.