| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Social distancing? Try a better way to work remotely on your online files. Dokkio, a new product from PBworks, can help your team find, organize, and collaborate on your Drive, Gmail, Dropbox, Box, and Slack files. Sign up for free.

View
 

Washtenaw County

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 10 years, 7 months ago

 

Washtenaw County

 

Ann Arbor

The Western Emigrant began publishing on Nov. 18, 1829 by Thomas Simpson. It was neutral in politics. It ceased on Nov. 17, 1830 and was continued by The Emigrant.

 

The Emigrant began publishing on Nov. 24, 1830 by Samuel W. Dexter. It was anti-Masonry. It ceased circa 1832 and was continued by Michigan Emigrant.

 

Michigan Emigrant began publishing circa Dec. 1830 by S.W. Dexter. It ceased on Nov. 20, 1834.

 

The Michigan Whig began publishing on Dec. 4, 1834 by George Corselius. It ceased on Apr. 2, 1835 and was continued as The Michigan Whig, and Washtenaw Democrat.

 

Michigan Argus began publishing on Feb. 5, 1835 by E.P. Gardiner. At times it also published a semi-weekly and a daily edition. It ceased on July 25, 1839 and was continued by Democratic Herald.

 

The Michigan Whig, and Washtenaw Democrat began publishing on Apr. 9, 1835 by George Corselius.

 

State Journal began publishing on Sept. 10, 1835 by George W. Wood and Co. It ceased on Apr. 11, 1839 and was continued by Michigan State Journal.

 

Semi-Weekly Michigan Argus began publishing on Mar. 22, 1837 by E.P. Gardiner.

 

Michigan Times began publishing circa Aug. 1837. It ceased on Oct. 27, 1840. It was Democratic.

 

The Ann Arbor Journal was publishing by 1838 by Seaman & Cole. It likely ceased on Aug. 4, 1847 and was continued by The Washtenaw Whig.

 

Daily Michigan Argus began publishing on Jan. 14, 1839 by E.P. Gardiner. It ceased on Mar. 12, 1839.

 

Morning Chronicle began publishing on Mar. 14, 1839 by E.P. Gardiner. It was a daily however, only one issue may have been published.

 

Michigan State Journal began publishing on May 22, 1839 by Franklin Sawyer. It was Whig. It ceased circa 1850.

 

Democratic Herald began publishing on Aug. 28, 1839 by T.N. Caulkins. It ceased on Dec. 28, 1842 and was continued by Michigan Argus.

 

The Old Hero began publishing on Apr. 24, 1840 by the State Central Committee of the Democratic Whig National Ticket. It ceased circa Oct. 1840.

 

Signal of Liberty began publishing on Apr. 28, 1841 by N. Sullivan for the Executive Committee of the Michigan Anti-slavery Society. It ceased on Feb. 5, 1848 and was continued by Michigan Liberty Press of Battle Creek.

 

Michigan Argus began publishing on Feb. 1, 1843 by E.R. Powell & Orrin Arnold. It was Democratic. It ceased on Dec. 15, 1845 and was continued by True Democrat.

 

The Coon Hunter began publishing circa June 1844 by Orrin Arnold.

 

The Mill-boy of the Slashes was publishing by Oct. 1844.

 

True Democrat began publishing on Dec. 19, 1845 by E.R. Chase. It ceased on Jan. 30, 1846 and continued as True Democrat and Michigan Argus.

 

The True Democrat and Michigan Argus began publishing on Feb. 5, 1846 by Chase & Arnold. It ceased circa 1847 and was continued by True Democrat.

 

The Michigan Argus began publishing on Jan. 28, 1846 by Cole & Gardiner. It ceased on Dec. 29, 1854 and was continued by Weekly Michigan Argus.

 

Ann Arbor American began publishing circa 1846 by Thornton & Sanford. It lasted a few months.

 

Washtenaw Whig began publishing on Aug. 11, 1847 by S.S. Shoff. In1855 it published briefly with the longer title Ann Arbor Journal and Washtenaw Whig before ceasing on Sept. 26, 1855 and continuing by The Ann Arbor Journal.

 

True Democrat began publishing on Nov. 2, 1847 by Sanford & Brothers. It ceased circa 1849.

 

B'hoy's Eagle began publishing circa 1848 edited by Col. Crocket, Jr. It was a satirical paper.

 

The Weekly Michigan Argus began publishing on Jan. 5, 1855 by Elihu B. Pond. Over the next many years the newspaper vacillated between including or excluding the word Weekly in the title. It ceased on Oct. 10, 1879 and was continued by The Ann Arbor Argus.

 

The Ann Arbor Journal began publishing on Oct. 3, 1855 by Seaman & Cole. It was Republican. It ceased circa 1868.

 

Michigan State Register began publishing circa Aug. 1856 by S.B. McCracken.

 

Local News and Advertiser began publishing on July 21, 1857 by S.B. McCracken. It ceased on Jan. 4, 1859 and was continued by The Ann Arbor Local News.

 

The Ann Arbor Local News began publishing on Jan. 11, 1859 by Lorenzo Davis. It ceased on Aug. 21, 1860 and was continued by The Michigan State News.

 

The Michigan State News began publishing on Aug. 28, 1860 by Davis & Burlingame. It later added Weekly to the beginning of its title. It ceased circa 1867.

 

Peninsular Courier began publishing on June 18, 1861 by C.G. Clark, Jr., & W.D. Wiltsie. It ceased on circa Dec. 1861 and merged with Ypsilanti Herald to form Peninsular Courier. and Ypsilanti Herald.

 

Peninsular Courier. and Ypsilanti Herald began publishing circa Dec. 31, 1861 by C.G. Clark, Jr., W.D. Wiltsie & Co. It ceased on Feb. 18, 1862 and was continued by Peninsular Courier.

 

Peninsular Courier began publishing on Feb. 25, 1862 by Wiltsie & Holmes. It ceased circa 1866 and was continued by The Peninsula Courier and Family Visitant.

 

The Commercial began publishing on Mar. 1, 1864 by C. R. Pattison. It was Republican.

 

The Peninsula Courier and Ann Arbor Visitant began publishing on June 21, 1866 by A.W. Chase. It was Republican. After one issue the title changed to The Peninsula Courier and Family Visitant. It ceased on Apr. 7, 1876 and was continued by Ann Arbor Courier.

 

The Ann Arbor Democrat began publishing circa Aug. 1868 by H.E.H. Bower.

 

The Ann Arbor Register began publishing on Sept. 7, 1872 by A.W. Chase. It ceased on Dec. 21, 1899 when it merged with Ann Arbor Courier to form Courier-Register.

 

The Ann Arbor Local News began publishing circa Apr. 1876 by J.B. Saunders.

 

The Ann Arbor Courier began publishing on Apr. 14, 1876 by Rice A. Beal. It ceased on Dec. 20, 1899 when it merged with Ann Arbor Register to form Courier-Register.

 

The Ann Arbor Daily Times began publishing on Dec. 6, 1877 by C.A. Foster. It was likely continued by Ann Arbor Times and Advertiser.

 

Ann Arbor Times and Advertiser began publishing circa late 1877 by F. Stofflet. It was semiweekly.

 

The Ann Arbor Democrat began publishing on Sept. 12, 1878 by John L. Burleigh, B. Frank Bower and Louis Liesemer. In 1879 it absorbed The Saline Standard. It ceased on Oct. 7, 1898 when it merged with Ann Arbor Argus to form Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat.

 

Ann Arbor Daily Ribbon News began publishing circa Mar. 1879 by J.B. Saunders.

 

The Ann Arbor Argus began publishing circa 1879 by John N. Bailey. It was semiweekly from May 1890 to May 1891. It ceased circa 1898 when it merged with Ann Arbor Democrat to form Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat.

 

Washtenaw Post began publishing on Oct. 3, 1879 by Louis J. Liesemer. It was in German. It ceased circa 1894 and was continued by Neue Washtenaw Post.

 

Daily News began publishing on Nov. 23, 1880 by Gustave A. Tanner. The title was lengthened to Ann Arbor Daily News circa 1882 and the title ceased circa Jan. 1883.

 

Washtenaw Journal began publishing circa 1883 by Christian J. Reul. It was in German.

 

The Mayflower began publishing on May 18, 1883 edited by May Whedon, Olive Paul, Junius E. Beal.

 

Der Deutsche Hausfreund began publishing circa 1889 by B.G. Guten. It was in German.

 

Washtenaw Evening Times began publishing on Nov. 24, 1890 by Fred C. Brown in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. After July 28, 1898 its title was shortened to The Evening Times and after Apr. 12, 1900 the title changed to The Washtenaw Times. It ceased on Apr. 5, 1902 and was continued by Washtenaw Daily Times.

 

Hausfreund und Post began publishing circa 1893 by Georg Wahr. It was in German.

 

Neue Washtenaw Post began publishing on Mar. 10, 1894 by Eugene J. Helber. It was in German.

 

Ann Arbor Daily Courier began publishing on Oct. 16, 1894 edited by Junius E. Beal.

 

Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat began publishing circa 1898 by Democrat Pub. Co. It ceased circa 1906 and was continued by Ann Arbor Weekly Argus.

 

Ann Arbor Daily Argus began publishing on Nov. 16, 1898 by Democrat Pub. Co. It ceased on June 24, 1907 when it merged with Ann Arbor News to form Ann Arbor News-Argus.

 

Courier-Register began publishing on Dec. 27, 1899 by Junius E. Beal. It ceased on May 23, 1906.

 

Washtenaw Union-Record began publishing circa 1900 by the Record Pub. Co.

 

The Reporter began publishing circa 1900 by Selby A. Moran.

 

The Washtenaw Republican began publishing on Sept. 21, 1900 by Alrick A. Pearson. It ceased on Mar. 7, 1902 and was continued by Ann Arbor Record.

 

The Ann Arbor Record began publishing on Mar. 14, 1902 by Abbott & Hanselmann.

 

Washtenaw Daily Times began publishing on Apr. 6, 1902 by Charles J. Johnson. It ceased on Aug. 31, 1903 and was continued by Ann Arbor Daily Times.

 

Ann Arbor Daily Times began publishing on Sept. 1, 1903 by Ann Arbor Times Co. It ceased circa 1908 and merged with Ann Arbor News-Argus to form Ann Arbor News Times and Argus.

 

The Sunday Record began publishing circa late 1903 by Record Pub. Co.

 

Die Washtenaw Post began publishing circa 1904. By 1917 it was published by Hebler & Sohn. It was in German, and later included some English. It ceased on Sept. 8, 1927 and was continued by Washtenaw County Tribune.

 

The Ann Arbor News began publishing circa 1905 by Ann Arbor News Pub. Co. It published daily except Sunday. It ceased on June 24, 1907 when it merged with Ann Arbor Daily Argus to form Ann Arbor News-Argus.

 

Ann Arbor Weekly Argus began publishing on Feb. 23, 1906 by Argus Pub. Co. It ceased on Dec. 7, 1906 and likely merged with Ypsilanti Sentinel-Commercial to form Ann Arbor Weekly Argus. Ypsilanti Sentinel-Commercial.

 

Ann Arbor Weekly Argus. Ypsilanti Sentinel-Commercial began publishing on Dec. 14, 1906 by Argus Pub. Co. Beginning in 1907 its publisher changes to Ann Arbor News Pub. Co. It ceased on Dec. 27, 1907.

 

Ann Arbor News-Argus began publishing on June 25, 1907 by Ann Arbor News Pub. Co. It published daily except Sunday. It ceased circa 1908 when it merged with Ann Arbor Daily Times to form The Ann Arbor News Times and Argus.

 

The Ann Arbor News Times and Argus began publishing on Apr. 5, 1908 by Ann Arbor Times Co. It ceased on June 13, 1908 and was continued by Ann Arbor Daily Times.

 

The Daily Times News began publishing on Apr. 1, 1909 by Times News Co. It ceased on Nov. 29, 1919 was continued by The Ann Arbor Times News.

 

The Ann Arbor Times News began publishing on Dec. 1, 1919. It ceased on Dec. 31, 1927 and was continued by The Ann Arbor Daily News.

 

Washtenaw County Tribune began publishing on Sept. 13, 1927 by C.H. Hemingway. It ceased on Jan. 20, 1928 and was continued by The Washtenaw Tribune.

 

The Washtenaw Tribune began publishing on Jan. 24, 1928 by Hemingway-Diehl Co. It began as a semiweekly, and in Apr. 1930, increased to triweekly publication. It ceased on July 20, 1931 and was continued by The Ann Arbor Tribune.

 

The Ann Arbor Daily News began publishing on Jan. 2, 1928. After the end of 1936 the title was shortened to The Ann Arbor News.

 

The Ann Arbor Tribune began publishing on July 22, 1931 by Washtenaw Tribune. It was a triweekly until Feb. 1934 when it published weekly. It ceased on Feb. 1, 1935 and was continued by Washtenaw Post=Tribune.

 

Washtenaw Post=Tribune began publishing on Feb. 8, 1935 by a company of the same name.

 

Huron Valley Ad-Visor began publishing on Oct. 16, 1963 by Huron Valley Pub. Co. It began publication as a weekly shopper consisting primarily of advertisements, etc.; and gradually included more articles reporting current events, until it primarily contained news of the general community. It ceased on May 17, 1972 and was continued by The Advisor of Washtenaw County.

 

The Advisor of Washtenaw County began publishing on May 24, 1972 by Huron Valley Pub. Co.

 

Good Morning Michigan began publishing on Jan. 27, 1975 by George Wahr Sallade. It published on weekdays.

 

Slicker began publishing on Feb. 8, 1980 by The Slicker Group and The Detroit Legal News. It was biweekly.

 

Between The Lines began publishing on Mar. 15/Apr. 15, 1993 by a company of the same name. It started as a monthly, went to biweekly in 1997 and weekly in 1998. “Serving lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and friends.”

 

The Washtenaw Enquirer began publishing on Apr. 11/17, 1995. It was an African American newspaper.

 

La Voz Latina: the voice of Latinos in Washtenaw County began publishing on Oct. 2002 by a company of the same name. It was a monthly.

 

University of Michigan and “alternative” papers (most of these papers have many variations in title and publishing frequency – not all are recorded)

University Chronicle began publishing circa Sept. 1869 by students of University of Michigan. It published weekly during the school year.

 

U. of M. Daily began publishing on Sept. 29, 1890 by U. of M. Independent Association. It published daily during the school year. It ceased on June 6, 1901 and was continued by Michigan Daily-News.

 

The Michigan Daily-News began publishing on Sept. 24, 1901 by the University. It published daily during the academic year. It ceased on Jan. 29, 1903 and was continued by The Michigan Daily.

 

The Michigan Daily began publishing on Sept. 29, 1903 edited by S. Emory Thomason. It was a daily but sometimes ceased publication during the summer term, and some summer published under the title Summer Michigan Daily.

 

Union County Clarion began publishing on May 5, 1905 by University of Michigan Press Club. It was a daily.

 

The Wolverine began publishing on June 25, 1910 by Lee A. White. It was triweekly. It ceased on Aug. 23, 1921.

 

The Michigan Mongrel began publishing on Dec. 13, 1923 by the Michigan chapter of Pi Delta Epsilon.

 

The Michigan Weekly began publishing on May 13, 1927 by the Board in Control of Student Publications. It published weekly during the academic year. “The purpose of this publication will be to give parents of Michigan students and other people interested in the University a source of reliable information concerning University events.”

 

Looking Glass began publishing on Oct. 15-30, 1967 edited by Jeffrey A. Hoff. Irregular publication frequency.

 

Ann Arbor Sun began publishing on April 20, 1968 by White Panther Community News Service. Irregular publication frequency.

 

Ann Arbor Argus began publishing on Jan. 24, 1969 by Kenneth Kelley. “Ann Arbor's Revolutionary Community Bi-weekly.” It ceased circa 1971.

 

Nefesh began publishing on Feb. 1971 by Ann Arbor Union of Jewish Students. It was a monthly.

 

Ann Arbor Sun began publishing on Apr. 30-May 6, 1971 by Rainbow People's Party. After July 4-18, 1975 the title was shortened to The Sun.

 

Finally Got The News began publishing on Sept. 9, 1971. “The official organ of the Black Student Union.”

 

Her-Self began publishing on Apr. 1972 by “Her-self”. It ceased on Jan. 1977.

 

People's Advocate began publishing on Oct. 1, 1972 edited by Jeanne Fox. It published every three weeks. “... [this] paper is not written primarily for the black University [of Michigan] students, but also for the black

population of Ann Arbor.”

 

The Michigan Diddly published circa Autumn 1981. It was a parody newspaper of Michigan Daily.

 

The Michigan Delay published circa 1988. It was a parody newspaper of Michigan Daily.

 

Chelsea

The Chelsea Herald began publishing circa 1871 by Andrew Allison. It ceased circa 1906 when it merged with Chelsea Standard to form Chelsea Standard-Herald.

 

Chelsea Standard began publishing circa 1889 by William Emmert. It ceased on Jan. 4, 1906 when it merged with Chelsea Herald to form The Chelsea Standard-Herald.

 

The Chelsea Standard-Herald began publishing on Jan. 11, 1906 by G.C. Stimson. It ceased on Feb. 27, 1908 and was continued by The Chelsea Standard.

 

The Chelsea Tribune began publishing circa 1907. By 1922 it was a semiweekly and published by Ford Axtell.

 

The Chelsea Standard began publishing on Mar. 5, 1908 by O.T. Hoover. On Oct. 26, 1995 it absorbed Dexter Leader.

 

Dexter

Dexter Times began publishing on Mar. 13, 1856 by H.B. Parker.

 

Dexter Bulletin began publishing circa 1868 by Norman E. Allen. It published a few issues.

 

Dexter Leader began publishing on Jan. 28, 1869 by J.H. Wickwire and L.D. Ally and edited by A. McMillan. In 1893 it absorbed The Dexter News. It ceased circa 1995 and was absorbed by Chelsea Standard.

 

The Dexter News began publishing circa Jan. 1892 by John Orren Thompson. It ceased in Sept. 1893 and was absorbed by Dexter Leader.

 

The Community Foto-News began publishing circa June 1974 by D & M Pub. Co.

 

Manchester

Manchester Enterprise began publishing on Oct. 17, 1867 by George A. Spafford. It was neutral in politics.

 

Manchester Journal began publishing on Oct. 21, 1873 by G.R. Palmer. It survived ten or eleven months.

 

Milan (in Washtenaw and Monroe counties)

Milan Morning Sun began publishing circa May 1881 by Galen Oderkirk.

 

The Milan Leader was publishing by 1896 by A.B. Smith.

 

The Milan News-Leader began publishing circa 1984 by Heritage Newspapers.

 

Saline

Saline Review began publishing circa 1872 by David Sherwood.

 

Saline Oracle began publishing on fall 1875 by W.W. Secord.

 

The Saline Standard began publishing on Dec. 1, 1877 by Louis J. Liesemer. It ceased circa 1879 when it was absorbed by Ann Arbor Democrat.

 

The Saline Observer began publishing circa Nov. 1880 by LeBaron & Nissly.

 

The Washtenaw Journal began publishing circa 1946 by United Stationery Co.

 

Willow Run

Willow Run Dispatch began publishing on May 6, 1944. “Owned and operated for and by the residents of Willow Run.”

 

Willow Run Around began publishing circa Jan. 1947 by William Stright. It ceased and was continued by The Town Crier.

 

The Town Crier began publishing on Aug. 7, 1947 by Willow Run Pub. Co.

 

Ypsilanti

The Ypsilanti Republican published circa 1837-1838 by Mr. Wallace.

 

The Saw Dust Journal began publishing on Nov. 16, 1839 by Ypsilanti Co. Only one handwritten copy of this title is known to exist.

 

Ypsilanti Sentinel began publishing on Dec. 20, 1843 by Gen. John Van Fossen. It was Democratic. It ceased circa 1848 and was continued by The Chronicle.

 

The Chronicle began publishing circa 1848 by Aaron Guest. It ceased approximately one year later and was continued by Ypsilanti Sentinel.

 

Ypsilanti Sentinel began publishing circa 1849 by Charles Woodruff. It ceased circa 1900 and merged with Ypsilanti Commercial to form Ypsilanti Sentinel-Commercial.

 

People's Advocate and Political Register published for a short time some time in the 1850s.

 

The Ypsilanti Herald began publishing circa 1858 by W.H. Jones & Co. It ceased circa 1860 when it merged with Peninsular Courier to form Peninsular Courier. and Ypsilanti Herald.

 

The True Democrat began publishing on Mar. 11, 1864 by C.R. Pattison. It ceased on Mar. 3, 1865 and was continued by Ypsilanti Commercial.

 

Ypsilanti Commercial began publishing on Mar. 10, 1865 by C.R. Pattison. It was Republican. It ceased circa 1900 and merged with Ypsilanti Sentinel to form Ypsilanti Sentinel-Commercial.

 

The Ypsilantian began publishing on Jan. 1, 1880 by M.T. Woodruff. It ceased on Dec. 26, 1912 when it merged with Ypsilanti Daily Press to form Daily Ypsilantian-Press.

 

Dr. Knapp's Bulletin began publishing on June, 1888 by R.E. Knapp. It was a monthly.

 

Ypsilanti Evening Press began publishing on Mar. 10, 1904. It cease on Dec. 31, 1904 and was continued by Ypsilanti Daily Press.

 

Normal College News was publishing by 1904 by Michigan State Normal College. It published weekly during the school year.

 

Ypsilanti Daily Press began publishing on Jan. 2, 1905 by Ypsilanti Press Co. It published daily except Sunday. It ceased on Dec. 31, 1912 when it merged with Ypsilantian to form Daily Ypsilantian-Press.

 

Daily Ypsilantian-Press began publishing on Jan. 2, 1913 by Ypsilanti Daily Press. It ceased on Dec. 31, 1927 and was continued by The Ypsilanti Daily Press.

 

The Ypsilanti Daily Press began publishing on Jan. 2, 1928 by George C. Handy. It ceased on Mar. 10, 1962 and was continued by The Ypsilanti Press.

 

The Ypsilanti Sun began publishing circa 1944 by R.B. Burrell.

 

Willow Trading Post and Greater Ypsilanti News began publishing circa 1950 by Ralph O. Williams.

 

The Ypsilanti Press began publishing on Mar. 12, 1962. From Feb. 1, 1972 to Apr. 30, 1975 the title was shortened to Press before returning to The Ypsilanti Press. It ceased in the 1990s.

 

The Weekly Cast began publishing circa May 1969 by Savage Photography, &, Photo News Service. It ceased in June 1969 and was continued by The Conveyor.

 

The Conveyor began publishing on June 21, 1969 by Anro Enterprises.

 

IInd Coming began publishing on Oct. 6, 1969. This “alternative” paper generally published biweekly during the school year.

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.