| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Finally, you can manage your Google Docs, uploads, and email attachments (plus Dropbox and Slack files) in one convenient place. Claim a free account, and in less than 2 minutes, Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) can automatically organize your content for you.

View
 

Van Buren County

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 12 years, 1 month ago

 

Van Buren history

 

Bangor

The Bangor Journal began publishing circa Mar. 1873 by Charles W. Gillett. It ceased that fall.

 

The Bangor Reflector began publishing on Jan. 1, 1874 by William W. Secord. It was Republican. It ceased circa spring 1889 and merged with West Michigan Advance, to form Advance and Reflector.

 

Van Buren County Democrat began publishing circa 1885. By 1889 it was published by J.G. Jennigs.

 

West Michigan Advance began publishing circa 1881 by G.F. Burkett. It ceased circa 1888 and merged with The Bangor Reflector to form Advance and Reflector.

 

The Bangor Breeze published for a short while.

 

Advance and Reflector began publishing circa Apr. 1889 by L.S. Russell. It ceased on Apr. 8, 1892 and was continued by The Bangor Advance.

 

The Bangor Advance began publishing on Apr. 15, 1892 by M.F. Russell. It ceased on June 22, 1982 and was continued by Van Buren Advance.

 

The Van Buren County Visitor began publishing in Bangor circa 1897. It had moved from Lawrence. It ceased circa 1907.

 

Van Buren Advance began publishing on June 29, 1982. It ceased on Mar. 29, 1983.

 

Bangor Trust Express began publishing on Apr. 19, 1983 by a company of the same name. It ceased on Mar. 6, 1984 and was continued by The Express.

 

The Express began publishing on Mar. 13, 1984 by Express Newspapers.

 

Bloomingdale

Bloomingdale Tidings published before 1880 by W.W. Secord. It survived a few years.

 

Bloomingdale Leader began publishing on June 10, 1881 by Barber & Smith.

 

Covert

The Covert Times began publishing circa Apr. 1952 by Terry Haynes.

 

Decatur

Van Buren County Tribune began publishing circa 1861 by Charles P. Sweet. It ceased circa 1864.

 

Decatur Clarion began publishing on July 5, 1865 by Moses Hull.

 

Van Buren County Republican began publishing June 5, 1867 by C.F.R. Bellows and E.A. Blackman. From 1882 to 1893 it published under the title Decatur Republican and then returned to the title Van Buren County Republican. It ceased circa 1894 and was continued by Decatur Independent.

 

The Saturday Advertiser began publishing on July 30, 1870.

 

Decatur Independent began publishing circa Mar. 1894 by William E. Secord. It ceased circa 1896 and was continued by Decatur Republican.

 

Decatur Republican began publishing on Jan. 7, 1897 by Arba N. Moulton.

 

Gobles (formerly Gobleville)

The Gobleville News began publishing circa fall 1890 by J.M. Hall. By 1905 it was published by J. Bert Travis. It ceased circa 1922 and was continued by Gobles News.

 

People's Alliance began publishing on May 4, 1892 by Frank M. Deane.

 

Gobles News began publishing on May 26, 1922 by J. Bert Travis.

 

Hartford

The Hartford Day Spring began publishing Nov. 16, 1871 by O.D. Hadsell and A.H. Chandler. It was Democratic. After Dec. 10, 1964 the title was shortened to Day Spring.

 

Van Buren County Appeal began publishing on Oct. 23, 1936 by Van Buren Democrat County Committee.

 

Lawrence

The Lawrence Advertiser began publishing on Feb. 10, 1875 by Theodore L. Reynolds. It ceased circa 1880.

 

Lawrence Times began publishing circa 1886. By 1890 it was published by G.M. Vining.

 

Lyre began publishing circa 1890 by Cash & Vining. It survived a short while.

 

Van Buren County Visitor began publishing circa June 1895 by W.E. Thresher. It moved to Bangor in 1897.

 

Lawrence Times began publishing on Dec. 23, 1897 by Ernest G. Klock.

 

The Lawrence Herald began publishing on Dec. 12, 1958 by Herald Pub. Co.

 

Lawton

Iron Age began publishing circa 1860 by Joseph Twell. It ceased circa 1867.

 

The Lawton Gazette began publishing circa 1867 by George W. Lawton. It survived less than two years.

 

Lawton Tribune began publishing circa Sept. 1869 by J.H. Wickwire. It ceased circa 1873.

 

Lawton Leader began publishing circa 1887 edited by A.F. Marvin. After Apr. 29, 1965 the title was shortened to The Leader.

 

Paw Paw

The Paw Paw Democrat began publishing on Jan. 1, 1843 by H.B. Miller. It was Democratic. It survived less than one year.

 

Paw Paw Free Press began publishing circa 1845 by Gieger & Samuel N. Gantt. It was Democratic. After a disagreement between the two men, Gantt threw the screw of the press into the river and departed to Detroit. It ceased circa 1859 and was continued by Van Buren County Free Press.

 

The Paw Paw Journal began publishing circa spring 1851 by James N. Gantt. It survived a short while.

 

The True Northerner began publishing on Apr. 25, 1855 by John B. Butler. It was Republican. It ceased circa 1920 when it merged with Free Press and Courier, to form The Courier-Northerner.

 

Van Buren County Free Press began publishing on Jan. 3, 1859 by I.W. Van Fossen. In the 1860s the title was shortened to Van Buren County Press. It ceased circa 1876 and was continued by Paw Paw Free Press.

 

The Paw Paw Courier began publishing on Jan.1, 1873 by G.W. Matthews and Ervin A. Lamphere. It was Republican. It ceased circa Aug. 1877 and merged with Paw Paw Free Press to form Paw Paw Free Press and Courier.

 

Pro Bono Publico began publishing on Jan. 1, 1874 by George W. Matthews. It was a monthly literary paper.

 

Paw Paw Free Press began publishing circa 1877 by O.D. Hadsell. It ceased circa Aug. 1877 and merged with The Paw Paw Courier to form Paw Paw Free Press and Courier.

 

Paw Paw Free Press and Courier began publishing circa 1877 by Park & Blackman. By 1883 it was published by Hiram A. Cole. Its title shortened to Free Press and Courier circa 1914.

 

The National Independent began publishing circa Mar. 1878 by Charles S. Maynard. It supported the Greenback cause. It ceased circa Dec. 1879.

 

Paw Paw Herald began publishing circa 1880. By 1887 it was published by I. W. Van Fossen.

 

Free Press and Courier began publishing circa 1914 by Simkins & Spicer. It ceased on Feb. 5, 1920 and merged with True Northerner, to form The Courier-Northerner.

 

The Courier-Northerner began publishing on Feb. 13, 1920 by True Northerner Pub. Co. It ceased on Nov. 15, 1968 and merged with The Leader of Lawton to form The Courier Leader.

 

The Courier Leader began publishing on Nov. 22, 1968 with Felix A. Racette as editor.

 

South Haven

South-Haven Sentinel began publishing on June 29, 1867 by David M. Phillips. It was Republican. After Oct. 3, 1903 the title was shortened to Sentinel.

 

South Haven Record began publishing Aug. 12 1878 by J. Densmore. It was a Greenback paper. After a year it moved to Kalamazoo.

 

South Haven Messenger began publishing circa 1881 by A.N. Brown. It ceased on Jan. 30, 1903 and merged with Weekly Tribune to form Tribune-Messenger.

 

The News began publishing circa 1894 by News Print. Co.

 

The Weekly Tribune began publishing circa 1897.

 

The Daily Tribune began publishing on May 8, 1899 by Ira A. Smith. After July 7, 1914 its title was lengthened to South Haven Daily Tribune. Its weekly edition was Tribune-Messenger.

 

South Haven Daily Gazette began publishing circa May 1909 by H.M. Spencer.

 

Morning Sentinel began publishing on July 22, 1901 by Nellie B. Stewart and Ed. Z. Stewart.

 

Tribune-Messenger began publishing circa 1903. It was a semi-weekly.

 

Evening Post began publishing circa 1906 by Post Print. Co. It ceased circa 1909

 

Citizen's Advocate was publishing by 1906 by Schnidt and Hildebrandt.

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.