| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Stop wasting time looking for files and revisions. Connect your Gmail, DriveDropbox, and Slack accounts and in less than 2 minutes, Dokkio will automatically organize all your file attachments. Learn more and claim your free account.

View
 

Shiawassee County

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 11 years, 7 months ago

 

Shiawassee history

 

Bancroft

Bancroft Bulletin began publishing circa 1879 by Will W. Secord.

 

The Commercial was published circa 1920 by Frank J. Peek.

 

Byron

The Byron Herald began publishing on Nov. 6, 1885 by James Sleeth. It ceased circa 1915.

 

The Advertiser began publishing circa 1952 by Mrs. Lloyd Hansen. It ceased circa 1955.

 

The Byron Bulletin began publishing circa Apr. 1968 by Don Hetchler. It ceased circa Aug. of the same year.

 

Corunna

The Shiawassee Democrat began publishing circa 1841 by William B. Sherwood. It ceased circa late 1843

 

Shiawassee Democrat and Owosso Argus began publishing circa 1848 by M.H. Clark. By 1851 the title was shortened to The Shiawassee Democrat and at some point it was published with the title The Corunna Democrat. It was absorbed by The Shiawassee American.

 

The Corunna Weekly Courier began publishing circa 1859 by William B. Pulis. It lasted a short while.

 

The Shiawassee American was publishing by Aug. 1862 by John M. Ingersoll. It absorbed The Shiawassee Democrat. By 1873 its title was lengthened to Shiawassee County American. By 1887 it moved to Owosso. (It may have published at some time with the title The Corunna American.)

 

Shiawassee County Atlas began publishing circa 1874 by Atlas Pub. Co.

 

Shiawassee County Journal began publishing circa 1880 by Ward Ingerson. It was likely continued by Corunna Journal.

 

The Independent began publishing circa 1884 by Moreau & Peacock. In 1913 it absorbed Corunna Journal. It ceased circa 1935 and was continued by The Corunna News.

 

The Corunna Mail was publishing by 1885 by Dreman & Logan.

 

Corunna Journal was publishing by 1887 by E.U.] Gorsuch,. It ceased on May 29, 1913 and was absorbed by The Corunna Independent.

 

The Corunna News was publishing by 1935 by Louis N. Sheardy. It ceased circa 1949 and was continued by The Shiawassee News.

 

The Shiawassee News began publishing on Jan. 5, 1950 by Kathryn Sheardy.

 

Durand

The Durand Signal began publishing on May 7, 1866 by Fred J. Cross.

 

The Durand Express began publishing on July 12, 1888 by T.R. Chapin.

 

Evening Express began publishing on Sept. 10, 1900 by Express Pub. Co. After a few issues its title was lengthened to Durand Evening Express.

 

Laingsburg

Laingsburg Recorder began publishing circa Aug. 1870 by E.L.W. Baker. It survived about a year.

 

The Laingsburg Herald began publishing circa 1872 edited by Mr. Judevine. It ceased after two years.

 

Laingsburg News began publishing on Nov. 2, 1877 by J.C. Stone.

 

Laingsburg Leader began publishing circa June 1880 by W.C. Walters. It survived several years.

 

The Laingsburg Press began publishing circa 1921. By 1926 it was published by Frederick W. Veith.

 

Owosso

(Shiawassee Express and Clinton Advocate began publishing circa 1839 by Edward L. Ament. It is uncertain if the record of this paper is accurate or if it is a mistaken record for the following paper.)

 

The Shiawassee Argus and Clinton Advocate began publishing circa 1841 by Edward L. Ament. It ceased circa 1843 and was continued by The Owosso Argus.

 

The Owosso Argus began publishing circa 1843 by Edward L. Ament. It ceased circa 1848 and was continued by Shiawassee Democrat and Owosso Argus in Corunna.

 

The Owosso American began publishing on Apr. 20, 1855 by C.C. & O.R. Goodale. It ceased and was continued by The Owosso American, and Peninsular State Times.

 

The Owosso American, and Peninsular State Times was publishing by 1858 by John N. Ingersoll. It ceased by 1862 and was continued by The Shiawassee American in Corunna.

 

The Owosso Press began publishing on Sept. 20, 1862 by Benton Hanchett and Gilber L. Lyon. From 1867 to 1891 its title was lengthened to Owosso Weekly Press. It ceased circa Sept. 1900 when it merged with The Daily American to form Owosso Press-American.

 

The Crusader began publishing circa Jan. 1870 by A.B. Wood Jr. It was a monthly. It likely became Owosso Weekly Crusader. It ceased circa 1874.

 

The New Era and Grange Index began publishing circa Mar. 1874 by A.B. Wood. It ceased circa 1874 and was continued by New Era and Northern Granger. By 1876 its title was changed to The Michigan New Era.

The Valley City Stereoscope began publishing circa 1874 by A.B. Wood. It was Republican. It ceased circa 1877.

 

Odd Change began publishing circa 1878 by a company of the same name.

 

The Shiawassee Republican began publishing circa 1878 by George W. Owen. It ceased circa May 1880 and was absorbed by The Shiawassee County Reporter.

 

The Owosso Times began publishing circa 1879 by Lucius E. Gould. It was published first at Vernon, then at Bancroft before finally moving to Owosso. On Mar. 24, 1882 the title was shortened to The Times published by Edmund O. Dewey. After Feb. 19, 1897 the title reverted to The Owosso Times. It ceased on Apr. 16, 1926 and was absorbed by Owosso Argus-Press.

 

Shiawassee County Reporter began publishing circa 1887 by Volney M. Moreau. By 1897 it was tri-weekly.

 

Owosso Evening Argus began publishing circa 1892 by J.N. Klock and R.C. Eisley. After Aug. 20, 1894 the title was shortened to Evening Argus. And, after Sept. 4, 1915 the title was changed to The Owosso Daily Argus

 

The Owosso Weekly Argus began publishing circa 1893. By 1902 it was published by Argus Pub. Co.

 

The Weekly American was publishing by 1896 by American Pub. Co. It also published The Daily American. It ceased circa Sept. 1900 when it merged with The Owosso Press to form Owosso Press-American.

 

Owosso Press-American began publishing circa Sept. 1900 by H. Kirk White. It was daily. It ceased circa Sept. 1916 when it merged with The Owosso Daily Argus to form The Owosso Daily Argus and the Owosso Press-American.

 

The Owosso Daily Argus began publishing on Sept. 7, 1915 by George T. Campbell. It ceased on Sept. 11, 1916 and merged with Owosso Press-American to form The Owosso Daily Argus and the Owosso Press-American.

 

The Owosso Daily Argus and the Owosso Press-American published by Argus Press Co. from Sept. 12 – Nov. 3, 1916 before ceasing and continuing as The Owosso Argus-Press.

 

The Owosso Argus-Press began publishing on Nov. 4, 1916 by Argus-Press Co. In 1926 it absorbed The Owosso Times. After May 26, 1972 its title was shortened to Argus-Press.

 

Perry

The World began publishing on Dec. 11, 1891 by W.G. Hopkins.

 

The Union Journal began publishing circa 1894 edited by T.E. Heddle.

 

The Perry Journal began publishing circa late 1898 by Clyde A. White. It ceased on Sept. 9, 1937 and was continued by Shiawassee County Journal.

 

Shiawassee County Journal began publishing on Sept. 16, 1937 by Thomas H. Halsted.

 

Vernon

The Vernon Inter-Lake began publishing circa 1884 by D.W. Hammond. In the 1880s its title was shortened to Inter-Lake.

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.