| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Finally, you can manage your Google Docs, uploads, and email attachments (plus Dropbox and Slack files) in one convenient place. Claim a free account, and in less than 2 minutes, Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) can automatically organize your content for you.

View
 

Saint Joseph County

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 12 years, 2 months ago

 

Saint Joseph County History

 

Burr Oak

The Democrat began publishing circa 1869 by a Mr. Dewey. It later moved to Three Rivers.

 

Burr Oak Times began publishing circa 1879 by a company of the same name.

 

Burr Oak Acorn began publishing circa 1880 by L. H. Mallory.

 

Burr Oak Enterprise began publishing on Apr. 27, 1960 by Al Grossman. It ceased circa 1961 and merged with Centreville Observer to form St. Joseph County Observer published in Centreville.

 

Centreville

The Peninsular began publishing on July 2, 1836 by Egbert J. Van Buren & William Hicks. It ceased circa 1837.

 

Michigan Farmer began publishing on Jan. 21, 1839.

 

Centreville Democrat began publishing circa 1841 by J.R. Adams.

 

Centreville Republican began publishing circa 1843 by J. Eastman Johnson.

 

St. Joseph County Republican began publishing circa 1845 by D. S. Weston.

 

St. Joseph County Advertiser began publishing circa 1845 by H. Metcalf & A.E. Massey. It ceased and merged with Constantine Weekly Mercury to form The Constantine Weekly Mercury and St. Joseph County Advertiser.

 

Western Chronicle began publishing on Sept. 29, 1849 by Guerensey & G.H. Crosette. By 1854 it moved to Three Rivers. It was continued by Western Chronicle and St. Joseph County General Advertiser.

 

St. Joseph County Republican began publishing on Apr. 10, 1869 by H. Egabroad & Co. Its name was likely shortened to The Republican.

 

The Republican began publishing on Apr. 9, 1875 by H. & S.H. Egabroad.

 

Centreville Times began publishing circa late 1885 by Martin & Twichell.

 

The Centreville Observer began publishing on Oct. 11, 1890 by W.I. Ashley. It ceased on June 8, 1961 when it merged with Burr Oak Enterprise, to form St. Joseph County Observer.

 

St. Joseph County Observer began publishing on June 15, 1961 by Al Grossman.

 

Colon

The Colon Enterprise was publishing circa 1870s by H. Egabrod.

 

The Colon Standard was publishing circa 1870s by L.E. Jacobs.

 

The Colon Express began publishing circa 1887 by McDowell Bros. By 1900 it was published by S. F. Grier. In 1963 the the was shortened to The Express.

 

Constantine

Constantine Republican began publishing on July 6, 1836 by Munger & Cowdery. It ceased circa Aug. 1, 1838.

 

The Constantine Weekly Mercury and St. Joseph County Advertiser began publishing circa 1850 by Albert E. Massey and Horace Metcalf. It was Republican. This title underwent a variety of title changes rearranging the word order, deleting words, and adding back the words from the initial title.

 

Constantine Record began publishing on May 11, 1897. It ceased on June 22, 1900 and merged with St. Joseph County Advertiser to form Constantine Advertiser=Record.

 

Constantine Advertiser=Record began publishing circa June 22, 1900 by Clemens Bros. Pub. It was Republican. After Sept. 14, 1927 its title was shortened to Advertiser Record published by Kenneth B. Bulter. It ceased on Feb. 23, 1972 and merged with White Pigeon Post, to form St. Joseph County News.

 

Items of Constantine, Michigan began publishing circa 1903 by Lee Hull. It was Republican.

 

Mendon

The Mendon Eagle began publishing circa 1857 by N.D. Glidden and A.C. Miles. It ceased after about a year.

 

Mendon Independent began publishing circa late 1850 by Burlingame & Rockwell. It survived about two years.

 

Mendonian began publishing circa 1871 by Charles P. Sweet. It ceased circa 1874.

 

Mendon Weekly Times began publishing on Oct. 2, 1874 by Alfred Ringe.

 

The Weekly Globe began publishing circa 1876 by D.M. Eveland. It ceased and merged with The Mendon Leader to form Mendon Globe-Leader.

 

The Mendon Leader began publishing circa 1894 by T.Z. Eveland. It ceased and merged with The Weekly Globe to form Mendon Globe-Leader.

 

The Mendon Globe-Leader began publishing circa 1912. By 1945 it was published by R.L. Foltz. It ceased circa 1960s.

 

Nottawa

Crusader began publishing circa 1871 by J.A.P. Mason. It was a monthly. It later moved to Centreville.

 

Sturgis

The Sturgis Republican began publishing circa 1856 by Moore & Foster.

 

The Sturgis Journal began publishing on July 4, 1861 by J.G. Wait. It ceased circa 1870s and merged with The Sturgis Times to form Sturgis Journal-Times.

 

The Sturgis Star began publishing circa 1868 by a Mr. Reynolds.

 

The Sturgis Times began publishing circa Jan. 1874 by H.A. Sweet & Co. It ceased circa 1870s and merged with The Sturgis Journal to form Sturgis Journal-Times.

 

Sturgis Journal-Times began publishing circa 1870s by T.F. Thornton. It ceased on Mar. 21, 1878 and was continued by Sturgis Journal.

 

St. Joseph County Democrat began publishing circa 1876 by L.E. Jacobs.

 

Sturgis Journal began publishing on Mar. 28, 1878 by Hi. A. Sweet.

 

The Michigan Democrat began publishing circa Jan. 1880 by Collar & Freeman.

 

The Daily Times began publishing circa 1881 by H.H. Palmer. Curiously, it was published weekly.

 

Coffee Cooler began publishing circa 1888 by Norm G. Cooper. It was monthly. Its title later changed to Cooper's Coffee Cooler.

 

St. Joseph Evening Press began publishing circa 1890. By 1899 it was published by W.R. Cochrane. It was daily. It's title was later shortened to Evening Press.

 

The Michigan Democrat and Sturgis Times was publishing by 1902 by John S. Flanders.

 

The Evening Press was publishing by 1905 by Elmer E. Sheridan. It was daily. It ceased on Oct. 7, 1905 and was continued by St. Joseph Daily Press.

 

Sturgis Times-Democrat was publishing by Oct. 1915 by Hunt & Boyden. It published daily (except Sun.) It merged with Sturgis Semi-Weekly Journal, to form The Sturgis Daily Journal.

 

The Sturgis Daily Journal began publishing circa 1916 by Mark P. Haines. After Apr. 4, 1946 its title was shortened to Sturgis Journal.

 

Three Rivers

Three Rivers Reporter began publishing on Feb. 21, 1861 by Wilber H. Clute. It was Republican and Greenback. It ceased circa Aug. 1879 and was continued by The News Reporter.

 

The Western Chronicle and St. Joseph County General Advertiser was publishing by 1865 by C.M. Vanderslice & Bro.

 

St. Joseph County Democrat began publishing circa 1869. By 1873 it was published by Quin Arnold. It ceased circa 1874 and was continued by Three Rivers Herald.

 

Three Rivers Herald began publishing circa 1874 by Orrin Arnold. It ceased circa 1905.

 

Three Rivers Tribune began publishing on Aug. 15, 1878 by George A.B. Cooke. It ceased circa 1897 and was absorbed by Three Rivers Herald.

 

The News Reporter began publishing on Aug. 30, 1879 by R.E. Case & H.E.J. Clute.

 

Three Rivers Daily Hustler began publishing circa 1895 by J.J.A. Parker. Circa 1907 its title was shortened to Daily Hustler. It merged with Three Rivers Evening Commercial, to form The Daily Commercial-Hustler.

 

Three Rivers Daily Reporter began publishing circa 1902 by M.C. Rider.

 

The Three Rivers Commercial began publishing circa June 1906 by Will E. Bower and Lafe Marvin. In June 1907 it went to semi-weekly. It was continued by Three Rivers Evening Commercial.

 

Three Rivers Times began publishing circa 1907 by Three Rivers Pub. Co.

 

Three Rivers Evening Commercial began publishing circa Oct. 1907 by Commercial Pub. Co. It ceased and merged with Daily Hustler to form The Daily Commercial-Hustler.

 

The Daily Commercial-Hustler was publishing by 1910 by Three Rivers Print. Co. It ceased on Apr. 12, 1912 and was continued by The Daily Commercial.

 

The Daily Commercial began publishing on Apr. 13, 1912 by Three Rivers Pub. Co. After Mar. 21, 1925 its name change to Three Rivers Commercial.

 

Three Rivers Commercial began publishing on Mar. 23, 1925 by Three Rivers Pub. Co. It ceased on Dec. 1, 1984 and was continued by Three Rivers Commercial-News.

 

Three Rivers Commercial-News began publishing on Dec. 3, 1984 by Three Rivers Commercial.

 

White Pigeon

The Michigan Statesman and St. Joseph Chronicle began publishing circa 1833 by John D. Defrees. It was Democratic. After Jan. 17, 1835 its title was shortened to Michigan Statesman published by H. Gilbert. It moved to Kalamazoo circa 1836.

 

White Pigeon Gazette began publishing circa late 1837 by E.J. Van Buren.

 

White Pigeon Republican and St. Joseph County Advertiser began publishing on Feb. 6, 1839 by D. Munger. It ceased circa 1841 and was continued by St. Joseph County Republican.

 

St. Joseph County Republican began publishing on May 5, 1841 by L.B.S. Miller. It ceased circa 1842.

 

White Pigeon Republican began publishing on July 4, 1865 by George C. Hackstaff & Co. It ceased circa 1866.

 

Democratic Union began publishing circa 1866 by George C. Hackstaff & Co.

 

The Argus began publishing circa 1875 by E.H. Graves.

 

Weekly Journal began publishing circa 1876 by William A. DeGroot. It ceased circa 1882 and was continued by White Pigeon Journal.

 

White Pigeon Journal began publishing circa Jan. 1882 by Homer J. Carr.

 

The White Pigeon News began publishing on Dec. 18, 1908 by G.M. Dudley. By 1928 it was published by Harry B. Anway.

 

The White Pigeon Post began publishing circa 1946. By 1953 it was published by William B. Beall and Carl E. Jenkins. It ceased on Feb. 24, 1972 when it merged with Advertiser Record, to form St. Joseph County News.

 

St. Joseph County News began publishing on Mar. 2, 1972 by Moormann Printing. On Nov. 1, 1979 it moved to Three Rivers. It ceased circa 1980s.

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.