| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Stop wasting time looking for files and revisions. Connect your Gmail, DriveDropbox, and Slack accounts and in less than 2 minutes, Dokkio will automatically organize all your file attachments. Learn more and claim your free account.

View
 

Saginaw County

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 11 years, 11 months ago

 

Saginaw history

 

Birch Run

Birch Run Bridgeport Herald began publishing on Apr. 24, 1985 by a company of the same name.

 

Brant

The Brant News began publishing circa 1897 by D. A. Holman.

 

Bridgeport

Bridgeport News began publishing circa June 1895 by E.W. Gallagher.

 

The Bridgeport Examiner began publishing on Aug. 31, 1939 by James P. Skimin.

 

The Bridgeporter began publishing on Mar. 25, 1948 by Village Press. It was biweekly. It ceased on May 11, 1950.

 

The Bridgeport News began publishing on Sept. 24, 1953 by Institute Letter Service. It ceased on Mar. 17, 1954.

 

Bridgeport Digest began publishing on June 7, 1962. It was monthly.

 

The Suburban News began publishing on June 15, 1962 by Gary and Nancy McGrath. It was biweekly.

 

Bridgeport Future began publishing on Aug. 8, 1968 by David L. Rogers, F.T. (Pete) D'Avignon. It ceased on Apr. 5, 1972 and merged with Buena Vista Views, to form Bridgeport Future Buena Vista Views.

 

Bridgeport Future Buena Vista Views began publishing on Feb. 23, 1972 by Community Pub. Co. It ceased on June 21, 1972 and was continued by Future Views.

 

Future Views began publishing on June 28, 1972 by Community Pub. Co. It ceased on Oct. 28, 1981 when it merged with Birch Run Banner, to form Weekly News.

 

Weekly News began publishing on Nov. 4, 1981 by Saginaw Valley News. It ceased on Nov. 1, 1993.

 

The Valley Voice began publishing on Oct. 14, 1968 by Robert E. Brown. It ceased on Sept. 1, 1987.

 

Chesaning

The Chesaning Times began publishing on June 1st, 1870 by a company of the same name. It ceased on Nov. 20, 1874.

 

The Chesaning Argus began publishing on Oct. 31, 1877 by Ashmun & La Munyon. It ceased on Apr. 26, 1972 and was continued by The Chesaning-Montrose Argus.

 

The Chesaning Record began publishing circa 1895 by L.P. & G.M. Burrows.

 

The Chesaning Semi-Weekly News began publishing circa 1900 by Ische & Ingells.

 

The Chesaning Monitor began publishing circa 1900. By 1914 it was published by B.D. Ingalls.

 

The Chesaning-Montrose Argus began publishing on May 5, 1972 by McInnis-Parish Pub. Co.

 

Valley News began publishing on June 10, 1980. It ceased on Mar. 23, 1982.

 

The Courier began publishing on June 11, 1980 by Saginaw Valley News Inc. It ceased on June 24, 1986.

 

The Tri-County Citizen began publishing on Jan. 5, 1983 by Dan Lea & William Sloat.

 

Frankenmuth

The Frankenmuth News began publishing circa July 1906 by Gallagher & Stromer.

 

Freeland

The Freeland Star began publishing on Sept. 10, 1909 by J.W. Hallack.

 

Merrill

The Merrill Sentinel began publishing circa 1887. By 1893 it was published by Ira H. Whitney.

 

Merrill Hemlock Monitor Herald was publishing by 1976 by Saginaw Valley News.

 

Oakley

Cyclone began publishing on Mar. 11, 1881 by James J. Lawson.

 

Saginaw (includes titles published in East Saginaw which was consolidated with Saginaw in 1889)

The Saginaw Journal began publishing circa 1836 by John P. Hosmer, with type brought to the area by Norman Little. It was later published by J.B. Bennett. It was Democratic. It survived two years.

 

The North Star began publishing circa 1843 by Royal W. Jenny and later Edmund Perry. It was Democratic. It survived a few years. Jenny went on to publish the Genesee Democrat in Flint.

 

Spirit of the Times began publishing circa 1850 by Lans L.G. Jones. It was Democratic. It survived five or ten years.

 

The Saginaw Enterprise began publishing on Sept. 8, 1853 by F.A. Williamson and A.J. Mason. It was Republican. Between 1859 and 1870 the title bounced between The Saginaw Weekly Enterprise and Saginaw Enterprise. It also published semi-weekly, tri-weekly, and daily editions. It ceased circa Apr. 1874.

 

The Poker was publishing by Feb.1857. It was a parody paper which described itself as being published in Saginaw River, Nowhere, by Knock 'Em.

 

Saginaw Semi-Weekly Enterprise began publishing on Jan. 1, 1858 by Perry Joslin. The tri-weekly edition began publishing on May 24, 1859. It ceased circa 1874.

 

Saginaw Herald began publishing circa 1858. It began publishing a daily edition circa 1878. It was issued with Saginaw Republican during some of 1879. It ceased circa 1880s and was continued by Weekly Herald.

 

East Saginaw Courier began publishing on June 16, 1859 by George F. Lewis. It published a daily edition beginning in 1868. By 1873 its title changed to Saginaw Weekly Courier of East Saginaw.

 

The Saginaw Valley Republican began publishing on Aug. 1, 1859 by Milo Blair. By 1867 its title was shortened to Saginaw Republican.

 

The Saginaw Valley Herald began publishing circa late 1864 by Bartrum & Gardiner. (It is unsure if this title is related to Saginaw Herald.)

 

Saginaw Daily Enterprise began publishing circa 1866 by Charles Victor Deland. It ceased circa 1874

 

Saginaw Republican was publishing by 1867 by C.V. Deland. It also published a daily edition beginning in 1875. It ceased circa 1879

 

Saginaw Daily Courier began publishing on Mar. 5, 1868 by Saginaw Courier Co. After Oct. 30, 1881 Daily was dropped from the title. It ceased on Sept. 7, 1889 when it merged with Morning Herald to form Courier-Herald.

 

The Saginaw Zeitung began publishing on Sept. 1, 1868 by the Saginaw Enterprise. By 1874 it was published by Constantin Beierle. It was in German, the first German paper published outside of Detroit. It absorbed Pioneer (Bay City), another German paper, circa 1872. It ceased circa 1897 and merged with Saginaw Post, to form Saginaw Post-Zeitung.

 

The Saginawian began publishing on May 1, 1869 by George F. Lewis. It ceased circa 1917 when it was absorbed by Saginaw Press.

 

Bartram's Cheek began publishing circa early 1870 by W.H.H. Bartram in Midland City and moved to East Saginaw by Apr. 1870.

 

The Saginaw Weekly Courier was publishing by 1873 by Saginaw Courier Co. It ceased Sept. 5, 1889 and merged with Weekly Herald to form Courier-Herald.

 

The Daily Republican began publishing on June 23, 1874 by F.A. Palmer & Co. Its title later changed to Saginaw Daily Republican.

 

Saginaw Valley News began publishing on July 7, 1874 by Charles H. Lee. By Apr. 1876 it had become Semi-Weekly Valley News. It ceased in 1878 and was continued by Valley News.

 

The Daily News began publishing circa late 1874 by Charles H. Lee..

 

Saginaw Morning Herald began publishing circa 1878 by Herald Printing Co. In occasionally published with the shorter title Morning Herald. It ceased circa 1889 when it merged with Saginaw Courier, to form Courier-Herald.

 

The Saginaw Bulletin began publishing on Nov. 22, 1879.

 

The Weekly Herald began circa 1880s by Herald Pub. Co. It ceased circa 1889 and merged with Saginaw Weekly Courier, to form Courier-Herald.

 

Tagliche Saginaw Abend Zeitung began publishing on Feb. 28, 1881 by Robert Ebel. It was a daily, and in German.

 

The Evening Express began publishing on Apr. 30, 1881 by John Gaylord McCall and Mr. Strong. It ceased on May 31, 1884 when it was absorbed by Saginaw Courier.

 

Saginaw Evening News began publishing on May 2, 1881 by Joseph Seemann and Charles H. Peters. It was Democratic. After June 6, 1890 its title shortened to Evening News. On Jan. 7, 1893 its title changed to Saginaw News and nine months later back to Saginaw Evening News. It absorbed The Saginaw Globe circa Sept. 1898. It ceased circa Mar. 1910 and was continued by Saginaw Daily News.

 

The Evening Journal began publishing circa Apr. 1886 by the Journal Co. It survived a short while.

 

The Mail began publishing circa late 1880s.

 

Saginaw Post began publishing on Jan. 6, 1887 by F. & C. Reitter. It was in German. It ceased on Dec. 30, 1897 when it merged with Saginaw Zeitung, to form Saginaw Post-Zeitung.

 

The Courier-Herald began publishing on Sept. 8, 1889 by a company of the same name. It published daily and weekly editions. It ceased circa July 1918 and merged with Saginaw Daily News to form Saginaw News Courier.

 

The Saginaw Globe began publishing circa 1890 by Hardwicke, Schaefer & Goldie. It published daily except Sun. It ceased on Sept. 3, 1898 when it was purchased by the Evening News.

 

The World began publishing in Saginaw circa 1892 by World Pub. Co. It was printed with orange ink.

 

The People's Tribune began publishing circa 1893 by J.R. Warren, Jr., and Douglas Warren.

 

The Daily Saginawian began publishing circa 1894. By 1900 it was published by Smith & Stoelker Pub. Co.

 

The Evening Leader began publishing circa 1894 by Darwin Z. Curtiss.

 

The Exponent began publishing circa 1895. By 1903 it was published by Clark, Neely and Nichols.

 

Saginaw Post-Zeitung began publishing on Jan. 8, 1898 by F. & C. Reitter. It was in German.

 

Saginaw Journal began publishing circa 1901 by Val. S. Boos. It was in German and English. It ceased on Jan. 16, 1925 and was continued by Familienblätter.

 

The Valley News was publishing by 1901 by a company of the same name. It ceased circa Jan. 1917 when it was absorbed by Saginaw Press.

 

Opportunity began publishing on Jan. 1, 1909 by Southgate & Co. It was monthly.

 

The Saginaw Daily News began publishing on Mar. 16, 1910 by Ralph H. Booth. It ceased on July 31, 1918 when it merged with Saginaw Courier-Herald to form Saginaw News Courier.

 

Saginaw Evening Press began publishing circa 1912 by Saginaw Pub. Co. It was Democratic. It ceased publishing as a daily circa Dec. 1912 and was continued by Saginaw Press.

 

Saginaw Press began publishing circa Dec. 1912 by Saginaw Pub. Co. It absorbed The Valley News circa Jan. 1917 and The Saginawian circa Oct. 1917.

 

The Saginaw News Courier began publishing on Aug. 1, 1918. It published daily. It ceased on Aug. 4, 1927 and was continued by Saginaw Daily News.

 

Saginaw Evening Star began publishing on Mar. 15, 1923 by a company of the same name. It was a daily. It ceased on Aug. 11, 1924.

 

Night Hawk began publishing circa 1926 by Saginaw County Klan, a chapter of the Ku Klux Klan. It was a monthly

 

The Saginaw Daily News began publishing on Aug. 5, 1927. It ceased on July 23, 1936 and was continued by Saginaw News.

 

Saginaw Tribune and Legal News began publishing circa 1930.

 

Saginaw-Bay Legal News began publishing circa 1933 by American Law Publications. It ceased on May 27, 1933.

 

The Saginaw News : SN began publishing on July 24, 1936. It was daily.

 

The Catholic Weekly began publishing circa 1942.

 

Saginaw Township Times began publishing circa 1964 by Schmitt Pub. Co. After Sept. 28, 1965 its title shortened to Township Times and the title shortened to Times for a while between 1966 and 1967..

 

The Saginaw Afro-Herald began publishing circa 1967. It was an African-American newspaper.

 

Tri-City Ad-Visor began publishing on Apr. 30, 1969 by Goodwyn Printing Co.

 

The Valley Star began publishing circa 1971 by Alonza Colvin.

 

St. Charles

Angel of Light began publishing on May 1, 1877 by Daniel Griggs. It advocated Spiritualism. It ceased after six months.

 

St. Charles Times began publishing on Aug. 3, 1877 edited by D.C. Ashman.

 

The Reformer began publishing on Sept. 30, 1880 edited by Gropengieser & Rice. It was Republican.

 

The Independent began publishing circa 1883. By 1888 it was published by Mr. & Mrs. W. A. Conklin.

 

St. Charles Union began publishing circa 1898. By 1900 it was published by C.H. Bement. It ceased on Dec. 30, 1972 and was continued by Saginaw Valley Weekly News.

 

Saginaw Valley Weekly News began publishing on Jan. 6, 1973 by Saginaw Valley News Inc. On June 30, 1973 the title was shortened to Saginaw Valley News and after June 5, 1980 the title was shortened to Valley News (Chesaning, Mich.)

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.