| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Stop wasting time looking for files and revisions. Connect your Gmail, DriveDropbox, and Slack accounts and in less than 2 minutes, Dokkio will automatically organize all your file attachments. Learn more and claim your free account.

View
 

Oakland County

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 11 years, 10 months ago

 

Oakland history

(Oakland county has an extensive history of mid-20th century newspaper publishing which has not been well documented.)

 

Auburn Hills

The Auburn Argus began publishing on June 10, 1985 by James A. Sherman.

 

Berkley

The Berkley Tribune began publishing on Apr. 20, 1923 by Tribune Pub. Co. It ceased on Oct. 8, 1925 when it merged with Royal Oak Tribune and Clawson Tribune and Hazel Park Tribune to form Daily Tribune (Royal Oak).

 

The Berkley Press began publishing circa 1935. By 1942 it was published by Edrey Miler.

 

Birmingham

The Eccentric began publishing on May 2, 1878 by Almeron Whitehead and George H. Mitchell. It ceased on Apr. 25, 1879 and was continued by The Birmingham Eccentric.

 

The Birmingham Eccentric began publishing on May 2, 1879 by a company of the same name. It ceased circa the 1970s and was continued by Birmingham-Bloomfield Observer & Eccentric.

 

The Birmingham Tribune published in the early 1900s by George McConnell.

 

Birmingham-Bloomfield Observer & Eccentric began publishing circa 1974 by Observer & Eccentric Newspapers. It ceased and was continued by The Eccentric.

 

Clarkston

Clarkston Enterprise began publishing circa early 1876 by Rev. J.R. Cordon. Like his earlier Orion paper, this semimonthly was “Devoted to Religion, Morality, Prohibition, Literature, and Home News.”

 

Community News began publishing circa 1921 by Clarkston State Bank. It was biweekly.

 

The Clarkston News began publishing circa 1929 by Eveleth Hancher, and P.O. Pederson.

 

Clawson

The Clawson Tribune began publishing on May 11, 1923 by Tribune Pub. Co. It ceased on Oct. 8, 1925 when it merged with Royal Oak Tribune and Berkley Tribune and Hazel Park Tribune to form Daily Tribune (Royal Oak).

 

The Midget began publishing circa Aug. 1931 by Migdet Press. It advertised itself as “ The biggest little paper on Earth.”

 

Clawson-Troy News began publishing circa 1935.

 

The Clawson Times began publishing circa 1942. By 1960 it was published by Neff Newspaper in Berkley.

 

Farmington

The Farmington Enterprise began publishing on Nov. 2, 1888 by Edgar R. Bloomer. It ceased circa 1966 and was continued by Farmington Enterprise and Observer.

 

Farmington Herald began publishing circa the 1890s by Walter Richards. It was absorbed by the Farmington Enterprise.

 

Farmington Observer began publishing circa 1961 by Paul Chandler. It ceased circa 1966 and merged with The Farmington Enterprise to form Farmington Enterprise and Observer.

 

Farmington Enterprise and Observer began publishing circa 1966 by Observer Newspapers. It published twice a week starting in 1967.

 

Farmington Observer & Eccentric was publishing by 1976 by Observer & Eccentric Newspapers. It was semiweekly. Its title was later shortened to Farmington Observer.

 

Ferndale

The Ferndale Gazette began publishing circa 1916. By 1930 it was published by Harvey S. Jacobs. It ceased on Mar. 13, 1958 when it merged with Ferndale Times to form Ferndale Gazette-Times.

 

The Ferndale News began publishing circa 1935 with Lowell Nye as editor.

 

Oakland County Gazette began publishing on Sept. 23, 1948 by Gazette Pub. Co. It ceased on Dec. 29, 1953 and was continued by Oak Park Gazette.

 

Ferndale Gazette-Times began publishing on Mar. 20, 1958.

 

The Legal Advertiser and Ferndale Gazette-Times was publishing by 1976 by Lorne F. Preeter.

 

Franklin

Franklin Village Crier began publishing circa 1944 by Charles Baker. It was monthly.

 

Hazel Park

The Hazel Park Tribune began publishing on Mar. 14, 1924 by Tribune Pub. Co. It ceased on Oct. 8, 1925 when it merged with Royal Oak Tribune and Clawson Tribune and Berkley Tribune to form Daily Tribune (Royal Oak).

 

The Hazel Park Press began publishing circa 1930. By 1940 it was edited by Frank X. Tuohey.

 

Hazel Park News began publishing circa 1933. By 1976 it was published by Hazel Park Publishers.

 

The Palladium began publishing circa 1939. By 1944 it was published by C.B. Keister.

 

Holly

The Holly Register began publishing circa 1865 by E. Frank. Blair. It ceased circa 1882. It was a “patent” paper with one side being printed in Chicago, and the other locally in Holly.

 

The Holly Circular began publishing circa 1872 by Fish & Frain. It survived a couple years.

 

The Holly Times began publishing circa Dec. 1875 by Thomas V. Perkins. It lasted a short while.

 

Oakland County Advertiser began publishing circa May 1877 by Fred Slocum. It ceased and was continued by The Holly Advertiser.

 

The Citizen began publishing circa the 1880s. It lasted a short while.

 

Holly Independent began publishing circa the 1880s by Walter Van Avery. It ceased in 1899.

 

The Holly Herald began publishing circa Sept. 1901 by F. Joe Haas. It ceased on Feb. 1, 1951 when it merged with The Holly Advertiser to form Northwest Oakland County Herald Advertiser.

 

The Holly Advertiser was publishing by 1906 by Patterson Bros. It ceased circa Feb. 1951 and merged with The Holly Herald to form Northwest Oakland County Herald Advertiser.

 

Northwest Oakland County Herald Advertiser began publishing on Feb. 8, 1951 by Joseph N. McCall. It ceased and was continued by Herald-Advertiser.

 

Keego Harbor

The Inter-Lake News began publishing circa 1936. By 1964 it was published by Irene Treacy and Kenneth Treacy.

 

Lake Orion (Formerly Orion)

The Orion Good News began publishing on Jan. 1, 1873 by Rev. J.R. Cordon. It was semimonthly. “Devoted to religion, morality prohibition and home news.” It ceased circa 1876.

 

The Orion Weekly Times began publishing circa Sept. 1876 by James W. Seeley.

 

Orion Weekly Review began publishing circa 1881 by John A. Neal. It ceased and was continued by Lake Orion Review.

 

The Orion Wave began publishing circa 1900 by Mrs. S.P. Brown.

 

Lake Orion Review was publishing by 1956 by Review Pub. Co.

 

Madison Heights

Madison News began publishing on Aug. 31, 1950 by Lexborn Enterprises.

 

Madison Heights Reporter began publishing circa 1974 with Edward M. Baker as editor. It ceased on May 28, 1981 when it merged with South Oakland Reporter to form Oakland Madison Reporter.

 

Milford

The Milford Times began publishing on Feb. 18, 1871 by Isaac P. Jackson.

 

The Milford Weekly Era began publishing circa 1871 by T.B. Fox. It ceased after a year and a half.

 

The Milford Review began publishing circa early 1880s by Ayers & Camp. It ceased after three or four years.

 

The Milford Advertiser began publishing circa Oct. 1885 by Grant H. Slocum. It survived a few years.

 

Novi

The Novi News began publishing on May 26, 1955 by a company of the same name. Some issues list its publisher as Northville Record. It was semiweekly between 1990 and 1993.

 

Oak Park

Oak Park News began publishing circa 1930. By 1954 it was published by Northwest Suburban Pub.

 

Oak Park Gazette began publishing on Jan. 7, 1954.

 

Oak Park News began publishing on Sept. 16, 1977. It published twice a month.

 

Ortonville

The Ortonville Hustler began publishing circa 1900 edited by William B. MacCloy. It was later published with Oxford Leader.

 

The Reminder began publishing on Aug. 23, 1977 by Richard R. Wilcox. It was likely continued by County Line Reminder.

 

County Line Reminder was publishing by Jan. 1991 by a company of the same name. It served “Parandon, Groveland, Atlas and Hadley townships.”

 

Oxford

The Oxford Enterprise was the first paper published in Oxford and lasted a very short time.

 

The Oxford Times was published by S.A. Fitzpatrick and lasted a short while.

 

The Oxford Weekly Journal began publishing on May 15, 1875 by Waggott & Stair.

 

The Oxford Globe began publishing circa 1879. By 1889 it was published by J.W. Cannon. It ceased circa Apr. 1902 when it merged with The Oxford Leader to form The Oxford Leader (and Globe).

 

The Oxford Intruder began publishing on Apr. 15, 1898 by Henderson & Congdon. It ceased on Dec. 2, 1898 and was continued by The Oxford Leader.

 

The Oxford Leader began publishing on Dec. 9, 1898 by Congdon & Glaspie. It ceased on Apr. 18, 1902 when it merged with The Oxford Globe to form The Oxford Leader (and Globe).

 

The Oxford Leader (and Globe) began publishing on Apr. 25, 1902 by E.H. Congdon, A.B. Glaspie. After May 27, 1904 it was issued with The Ortonville Hustler. It ceased on Mar. 1, 1907 and was continued by The Oxford Leader.

 

The Oxford Leader began publishing on Mar. 8, 1907 by E.H. Congdon, A.R. Glaspie.

 

Pontiac

The Oakland Chronicle began publishing May 31, 1830 by Thomas Simpson. It was the fourth newspaper to be established in Michigan. It ceased on Apr. 22, 1831. The equipment was sold to John R. Williams and Joseph Campau who moved it to Detroit to start Democratic Free Press.

 

Oakland Patriot began publishing circa Dec. 1834 by Egbert J. Van Buren & Brother. It was Democratic. It ceased circa Mar. 1836.

 

The Oakland Whig began publishing on Jan. 28, 1835 by Arthur G. Sparhawk. It ceased on Jan. 25, 1836 and was continued by The Pontiac Courier.

 

The Pontiac Courier began publishing on Jan. 28, 1835 by A.G. Sparhawk. It ceased circa 1839 and was continued by The Jeffersonian.

 

The Pontiac Advertiser and Democratic Balance began publishing circa 1836 by Nicholas S. Gannt. It was Democratic. It ceased Dec. 20, 1837 and was absorbed by The Pontiac Herald.

 

The Pontiac Herald began publishing circa 1838 by W.S. Stevens. It was Democratic. It ceased on Jan. 1, 1839.

 

The Jacksonian began publishing on July 10, 1838 by Eldrege & Denton. It was Democratic. It was continued by The Pontiac Weekly Jacksonian and later The Pontiac Jacksonian.

 

The Jeffersonian, and Oakland, Lapeer, & Shiawassee Advertiser began publishing circa July 1839 by J. Dowd Coleman. It ceased later that year and was continued by The Jeffersonian.

 

The Jeffersonian began publishing circa Dec. 1839 by William M. Thompson. In 1840 it changed titles to The Pontiac Jeffersonian. It ceased circa 1841 and was continued by The Pontiac Courier.

 

The Pontiac Reformer began publishing circa early 1840 by Samuel Cudgel, and ceased on June 30, 1840 after a fire.

 

The Pontiac Courier began publishing on Sept. 23, 1841 by William B. Sherwood. It ceased on Nov. 23, 1842.

 

The Pontiac Jacksonian began publishing on May 6, 1842 by Augustus W. Hovey & Co. and later by Cyrus Peabody, and then by W.B. Cole & T.S. Sheridan. It was Democratic. It ceased circa May 1873.

 

Oakland Gazette began publishing on Feb. 7, 1844 by J. Dowd Coleman. It was Whig. It ceased on May 31, 1851 and was continued by Pontiac Gazette.

 

Pontiac Gazette began publishing on June 7, 1851 by W.M. Thompson. It ceased on Aug. 10, 1860 and was continued by Pontiac Weekly Gazette which published till Apr. 20, 1866 before reverting to the earlier title published by W.I. Beardsley & C.B. Turner. In 1869 it added Weekly to the title once again and dropped it once again in 1877. It absorbed The Pontiac Republican in Dec. 1895.

 

The Bill Poster and Monthly Visitor began publishing on Jan. 14, 1868 by William P. Nisbett. It was a monthly. It later changed title to The Bill Poster and then to The Bill Poster and General Intelligencer. It ceased on Mar. 1869 and changed title to Pontiac Bill Poster.

 

Pontiac Bill Poster began publishing on Apr. 1869 by William B. Nisbett & Viall. After June 21, 1871 its title changed to Pontiac Weekly Bill Poster and in 1882 back to Pontiac Bill Poster. It published a 3 issue daily edition in 1877 during the Oakland County Fair. It ceased on Mar. 26, 1890 when it merged with to form Oakland County Post.

 

Pontiac Commercial began publishing on June 20, 1876 by Charles H. Chapman & Bro. It was independent.

 

The Pontiac Democrat was published for a short while by Charles H. Fisher.

 

Oakland County Post began publishing on Apr. 4, 1890 by Ferris S. Fitch. Its title shortened to Post circa 1897. It ceased circa 1907 when it was absorbed by The Pontiac Press Gazette.

 

The Living Issues began publishing on Aug. 5, 1892 by Lulu V. Reynolds. It was a temperance paper. It ceased on Oct. 28, 1897.

 

The Pontiac Republican began publishing on Aug. 3, 1893 with Jay Clark as editor. It ceased on Dec. 26, 1895 and was absorbed by Pontiac Gazette.

 

The Pontiac Times began publishing circa 1893 by the Charles F. Gee..

 

Pontiac Daily Gazette began publishing on Jan. 1, 1895. It ceased on Feb. 15, 1896 and was continued by Pontiac Evening Press.

 

Pontiac Evening Press began publishing on Feb. 17, 1896 by Kimball & Turner.

 

The Pontiac Journal began publishing circa 1899 by Clark B. Turner. It was Republican. It survived a short time.

 

The Evening Press began publishing on Sept. 17, 1900 by a company of the same name. It ceased on June 11, 1901 and was continued by Pontiac Daily Press which became Daily Press after Jan. 14, 1902 which became Pontiac Daily Press after Apr. 30, 1903.

 

The Pontiac Daily Press began publishing on May 1, 1903 by a company of the same name. It ceased on Aug. 18, 1906 when it merged with Pontiac Gazette to form The Pontiac Daily Press, the Pontiac Gazette.

 

The Pontiac Daily Press, the Pontiac Gazette began publishing on Aug. 20, 1906 by Harry Coleman. After Oct. 17, 1906 the title was shortened to The Pontiac Press Gazette. After June 30, 1919 the title was lengthened again to The Pontiac Daily Press and Gazette and one month later the title was changed to The Pontiac Daily Press.

 

The Pontiac Daily Press began publishing on July 31, 1919 by Howard H. Fitzgerald. After Aug. 4, 1953 its title was shortened to The Pontiac Press and after Apr. 29, 1972 the title was changed to The Oakland Press.

 

The Pontiac-Waterford Times began publishing circa 1972 by a company of the same name with C. Don Davidson as editor. Its title was later shortened to The Times.

 

The Oakland Press began publishing on May 1, 1972 by Oakland Press Co.

 

Pontiac Metropolitan News began publishing circa June 1975 by a company of the same name.

 

Rochester

The Rochester Weekly Era began publishing on May 21, 1873 by T.B. Fox. It ceased circa 1882 and was continued by Era and in 1882 by Rochester Era. It ceased on Oct. 28, 1949 and was absorbed by The Rochester Clarion.

 

The Rochester Sun began publishing on May 19, 1876 by Van Burget & Macoy. It ceased two years later.

 

Rochester Spectator began publishing circa 1878 by Rev. C.O. Brown and Tom S. Sprague. It survived a few months.

 

Rochester Observer began publishing circa June 1887 by Frank D. Wells and Edward Beck. It survived about six months.

 

Rochester Plaindealer was publishing during the 1890s by W.H. Marvin and Edwin R. Frank. It lasted about two years.

 

The Rochester Clarion began publishing on Aug. 19 1898 by C.S. Seed. By 1922 it was published by Charles S. Seed & Son. In Oct. 1949 it absorbed The Rochester Era. It ceased and merged with Rochester Eccentric to form Clarion-Eccentric.

 

Rochester Observer & Eccentric began publishing circa 1972 Observer & Eccentric Newspapers. It was continued by Rochester Eccentric.

 

Rochester Eccentric began publishing circa 1973 by Observer & Eccentric Newspapers in Birmingham. It was semiweekly. It ceased circa Oct. 1997 and merged with The Rochester Clarion to form Clarion-Eccentric.

 

The Rochester Times began publishing circa 1978 by Times Newspapers edited by C. Don Davidson.

 

Clarion-Eccentric began publishing on Oct. 26, 1997 by Observer-Eccentric.

 

Royal Oak

The Royal Oak Experiment began publishing circa 1876 by G.W. Owen. It was semimonthly. In 1877 the title was shortened to Experiment.

 

The Royal Oak Midget began publishing circa July 1879 by Finn & Soults. It ceased on Oct. 10, 1879.

 

The Royal Oak Tribune began publishing circa 1903 by Tribune Printing Co. It was published in Detroit for the first few years. It ceased on Oct. 8, 1925 when it merged with Berkley Tribune and Clawson Tribune and Hazel Park Tribune to form Daily Tribune.

 

Greater Royal Oak Times began publishing circa 1920. By 1925 it was published by R. F. Moylan.

 

Kimball's Newspaper began publishing circa 1922.

 

The Royal Oak Outlook began publishing circa Oct. 1925 by F. E. Van Black.

 

The Daily Tribune began publishing on Oct. 12, 1925 by Tribune Pub. Co. By 1988 it had moved to Mt. Clemens published by Adams Pub. Corp. and later by Independent Newspapers.

 

The Herald-Review began publishing circa 1927. It absorbed The Independent circa 1939.

 

The Peaceful Valley Journal began publishing circa 1944. By 1952 it was published by Walls Newspaper Syndicate. It was an African American paper.

 

South Lyon

The South Lyon Sentinel began publishing circa 1879 by Andrew J. Little.

 

South Lyon Herald began publishing circa July 1879 by Bowman & Ellinwood.

 

The Excelsior began publishing circa 1881 by Charles H. Rorabacher & Sweet. Its title was later changed to South Lyon Excelsior. It ceased circa 1903 and was continued by The Herald.

 

The Picket began publishing circa 1883 by C.F. Newkirk.

 

The Herald began publishing circa 1903 by L.B. Samsen.

 

Southfield

The Jewish News began publishing on Mar. 27, 1942 in Detroit by Jewish News Pub. Co. and moved to Southfield circa 1969.

 

The Four Corners Press began publishing circa 1950 by Four Corners Press. (It is believed to have been published in Southfield.) It ceased circa 1961 and was absorbed by Southfield News.

 

Southfield News began publishing circa 1953 byBetty Lewis.

 

Southfield Eccentric began publishing circa 1970 by Eccentric Newspapers. It ceased circa 1973 and merged with Southfield News & Observer to form Southfield Observer and Eccentric.

 

Southfield Observer began publishing circa 1970 by Observer Newspapers. It ceased and merged with Southfield News to become Southfield News & Observer

 

Southfield Observer and Eccentric was publishing by 1976 by Observer & Eccentric Newspapers in Birmingham. It was semiweekly. Its title was later shortened to Southfield Eccentric.

 

Troy

Troy Observer & Eccentric was publishing by 1976 by Observer & Eccentric Newspapers. Its title was later shortened to Troy Eccentric.

 

Walled Lake

The Walled Lake News began publishing circa 1977 by Novi-Walled Lake News.

 

Wixom

Inter-Lake News was publishing by Nov. 1970.

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.