| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Get control of your email attachments. Connect all your Gmail accounts and in less than 2 minutes, Dokkio will automatically organize your file attachments. You can also connect Dokkio to Drive, Dropbox, and Slack. Sign up for free.

View
 

Muskegon County

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 11 years, 7 months ago

 

Muskegon history

 

Casnovia

The Cassnovia Herald-Journal began publishing circa 1878 by F.E. Ackerman.

 

Fruitport

Fruitport Area News began publishing on Jan. 19, 1983.

 

Montague

The Montague Syndicate began publishing circa Dec. 1871 by John G. Lee. It ceased circa Feb. 1873.

 

The Montague Lumberman began publishing Nov. 27, 1873 by H.C. Sholes and Co. It was Democratic.

 

The Vedette was published for about three months during the campaign of 1874. It was Democratic.

 

The Investigator began publishing circa late 1874 by Vangiesen. It survived seven or eight months.

 

The Observer and Shopping News began publishing on June 7, 1973 by Darwin Bennett. It ceased on Oct. 3, 1973 and continued as The White Lake Observer.

 

The White Laker Observer began publishing on Oct. 10, 1973 by Darwin Bennett. It absorbed The White Laker and Northshore Interurban (Whitehall).

 

The Oceana County News began publishing circa 1975 by Darwin Bennett. It described itself as “Legal successor to the Montague Observer, the Whitehall Forum, the White Laker and Northshore Interurban and the Shopping News.

 

Muskegon

Muskegon Journal began publishing on June 26, 1857 by M.V. B. Cowin, & Co. (or Charles Cowan). It was Republican. It ceased in the fall of that year.

 

The Muskegon Reporter began publishing Apr. 28, 1859 by Fred B. Lee & Co. It was Republican. It ceased circa Oct. 1864 when it merged with Muskegon Weekly News to form The News and Reporter.

 

Muskegon Weekly News began publishing on Sept. 17, 1864 by John Bole. It ceased circa 1865 and merged with The Muskegon Reporter to form The News and Reporter.

 

The News and Reporter began publishing circa 1865 by Ferdinand Weller. After “selling” the paper to George Rice, F. Weller also continued it as News and Reporter. Rice attempted to sue Weller for starting a paper with the old name, but the case never went to court.

 

The Telegraph began publishing circa 1867 by Samuel R. Sanford and Lyman G. Mason. (and A.G. Blood.) It was Democratic. It burned down in 1869 and the paper was suspended.

 

The Muskegon Chronicle began publishing circa 1869 by George C. Rice. It was Republican. In May 1881 the title changed to Muskegon Weekly Chronicle which ceased in 1906.

 

Muskegon Enterprise began publishing circa 1869 by I. Ransom Sanford (Samuel R.'s son). It ceased circa 1872 and was continued by Gazette and Bulletin..

 

The News and Reporter began publishing circa 1869 by F. Weller. It was Democratic. It continues a paper of the same name which Weller sold to George C. Rice. The paper became a semiweekly in 1874 and published a daily edition beginning in 1882.

 

Gazette and Bulletin began publishing circa 1872 by Levi Beardsley. It ceased circa Sept. 1873 and was continued by Muskegon Lakeside Weekly.

 

Michigan Lumberman began publishing circa 1872 by Waite and Judson. The paper later moved to Chicago and was called Northwest Lumberman.

 

Muskegon Lakeside Weekly began publishing circa Nov. 1873 by Charles S. Hilbourn. In 1874 it was published as The Lakeside Weekly Register and then in 1857 it changed to Lakeside Weekly Register. It ceased circa 1877.

 

Muskegon Journal began publishing on Dec. 18, 1877 by R.R. Johnson. It also published a daily edition. It ceased circa 1882 and was absorbed by Muskegon Daily Chronicle.

 

Muskegon Daily Chronicle began publishing circa May 1879 by W.M. Harford. It was purchased by the Booth Publishing Co. in 1907. It ceased on Feb. 17, 1909 when it merged with Muskegon News, to form Muskegon News Chronicle.

 

The Sentinel began publishing circa 1880 by A.B. Wood. It supported the Greenback cause.

 

Daily News=Reporter began publishing circa Aug. 1882 by F. Weller. It ceased on Feb. 24, 1883 and changed title to Daily Morning News.

 

Evening Mail began publishing circa 1882 by Hilbourn and Smith during a strike of sawmill workers.

 

Daily Morning News began publishing on Feb. 25, 1883 by F. Weller. In June 1884 the title was shortened to Morning News which published until May 23, 1907 when it became Muskegon News.

 

The Workingman's Journal began publishing by 1882 by W.T. Kimsey. This daily supported the Workingman's party. It ceased circa 1886.

 

Michigan Posten began publishing circa 1890 by Svenska Publiserings Kompaniet. It was in Swedish. It ceased May 7, 1891 and was continued by Monitor.

 

Frihets Baneret (or Banner of Liberty) began publishing circa 1890. It was in Swedish. It was continued circa 1900 by Fäderneslandet.

 

Monitor began publishing on May 18, 1891 by Nilson & Gullekson. It was in Swedish. It ceased circa 1893.

 

Freie Presse began publishing circa 1891 by K. Duerr.

 

The Muskegon Record began publishing circa 1899 by James L. Smith Co. It began as semiweekly and became daily in 1902. After June 4, 1902 it became Muskegon Daily Record and then circa Oct. 1903 its title shortened to Daily Record which ceased circa 1904.

 

Fäderneslandet began publishing circa 1900 by Scandinavian Pub. Co. It was in Swedish.

 

Muskegon News began publishing on May 24, 1907 by Muskegon News Co. It ceased on Feb. 18, 1909 when it merged with Muskegon Daily Chronicle to form Muskegon News Chronicle.

 

Muskegon News Chronicle began publishing on Feb. 18, 1909 by Muskegon Pub. Co. After Mar. 26, 1913 its title was shortened to Muskegon Chronicle which ceased on Mar. 30, 1916 when it merged with Muskegon Daily Times to form The Muskegon Chronicle and the Muskegon Daily Times.

 

The Muskegon Times began publishing on June 7, 1911 by a company of the same name. It was daily. After July 27, 1913 its title changed to Muskegon Daily Times. It ceased on Mar. 31, 1916 when it merged with Muskegon Chronicle to form

 

The Muskegon Chronicle and the Muskegon Daily Times began publishing on Mar. 31, 1916 by Arthur F. Boswell. It ceased on Apr. 19, 1917 and was continued by The Muskegon Chronicle.

 

The Muskegon Chronicle began publishing on Apr. 20, 1917.

 

Muskegon Observer began publishing circa 1918 by George W. Welsh. It ceased circa 1925 when it merged with Saturday Spectator to form The Muskegon Observer and the Saturday Spectator.

 

The Muskegon Free Press began publishing on Nov. 7, 1924 by Chaney Press. It ceased on Mar. 20, 1925.

 

The Muskegon Observer and the Saturday Spectator began publishing circa 1925 by Spectator Pub. Association. It ceased on Apr. 14, 1927 and was continued by The Muskegon Observer.

 

The Muskegon Observer began publishing on Apr. 22, 1927 by Spectator Pub. Association. It ceased on Aug. 21, 1931 when it merged with East Muskegon Enterprise to form Muskegon Observer and East End Enterprise.

 

Southwest Muskegon and Lakeside News began publishing circa 1931 by Muskegon Observer.

 

Muskegon Observer and East End Enterprise began publishing on Aug. 28, 1931 by Earle Press of Michigan. It ceased on Apr. 13, 1934 and was continued by The Michigan Observer.

 

The Michigan Observer began publishing on Apr. 20, 1934 by James L. Smith. It ceased on Mar. 26, 1942.

 

Times began publishing circa 1958 by John Bankston. Both Muskegon and Grand Rapids appears on the masthead. It was an African-American paper. It ceased circa 1960 and was continued by Grand Rapids Times.

 

Muskegon Al Dia : la mejor conexion latina was publishing by Apr. 2007. It was a Spanish language monthly.

 

The Muskegon Post began publishing on Feb. 2007. It was a monthly.

 

Muskegon Heights

The New World began publishing circa May 1891 by W. Charles Hopper.

 

The Muskegon Heights Record began publishing circa 1922 by G.O. Currey. Circa May 1925 the title was shortened to Heights Record and in 1930 returned to Muskegon Heights Record.

 

Muskegon Free Press began publishing on May 1973. It was an alternative press monthly.

 

The Muskegon Tribune began publishing circa Feb. 2001.

 

North Muskegon

Peninsula City Pioneer began publishing on Oct. 17, 1891 by William W. Secord.

 

Norton Shores

Norton Shores & Roosevelt Park Examiner began publishing circa 1969 by The Examiner.

 

Ravenna

The Ravenna Times began publishing on Feb. 10, 1888 by Ralph Rogers. It ceased circa 1974 when it merged with Clipper (Fruitport) and Coopersville Observer to form Grand Valley Journal.

 

Grand Valley Journal began publishing circa 1974 by Clinton Beckwith. It may have been continued by Times-Clipper.

 

Times-Clipper was publishing by 1976 by T-C Newspapers. It ceased on Sept. 1, 1976.

 

Whitehall

The Whitehall Forum began publishing on Oct. 28, 1869 by Benjamin Frank and later by C.P. Nearpass. It ceased Apr. 30, 1964 when it became Whitehall Forum and the White Laker.

 

The Montague Observer was publishing by Nov. 1948 by Muskegon County Print. Co. It ceased on May 31, 1973 and merged with Shopping News to form Observer and Shopping News (Montague).

 

The Whitehall Forum and the White Laker began publishing on May 7, 1964 by Louis J. Berman. It ceased on Mar. 5, 1970 and was continued by The White Laker and Northshore Interurban.

 

The White Laker and Northshore Interurban began publishing on Mar. 12, 1970 by Associated Publications. It ceased circa Nov. 1973.

 

The White Lake Beacon began publishing circa 1983 by a company of the same name.

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.