| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Stop wasting time looking for files and revisions! Dokkio, a new product from the PBworks team, integrates and organizes your Drive, Dropbox, Box, Slack and Gmail files. Sign up for free.

View
 

Kalamazoo County

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 11 years, 6 months ago

 

Kalamazoo history

 

Alphadelphia

Alphadelphia Tocsin began publishing on Dec. 6, 1844 by the Alphadelphia Association. Alphdelphia was utopian commune located in Comstock Township. The community disbanded in 1848.

 

Augusta

Augusta Beacon began publishing on Mar. 14, 1902 by J.J. Richardson and Hall. It ceased on Mar. 27, 1952 when it was absorbed by Galesburg Argus.

 

Climax

The Climax Cereal began publishing on May 25, 1900 by L.A. Hubbard. It ceased in 1912 and was continued by The Climax Crescent.

 

The Climax Crescent began publishing on Oct. 18, 1912 by Herbert C. Smith. It ceased on Dec. 31, 1926.

 

Fort Custer

Salute began publishing circa 1941 by the Fort Custer Reception Center.

 

Fort Custer News was publishing by 1941 by the Public Relations office. For a while in 1943 it was called Service News and published in Marshall, before reverting back to its earlier title.

 

Galesburg

The Galesburg Express began publishing circa 1880 by the Express Publishing Co.

 

Kalamazoo County Enterprise began publishing circa 1883. By 1890 it was published by R.M. Lamoreaux. It merged with Smiley’s weekly published by Joseph Bert Smiley to form Smiley’s Kalamazoo County Enterprise which later became The Enterprise. Smiley was noted as a poet and humorist. It was absorbed by The Argus.

 

The Citizens’ Weekly began publishing on Aug. 24, 1893 by E.P. Llewellyn & Co.

 

Weekly Argus began publishing on Nov. 17, 1898 by Ford Printing Co. It was published out of Galesburg and Richland. It absorbed The Enterprise. It later published as Semi-weekly Argus, Galesburg Argus, and Argus.

 

Galesburg Mirror began publishing on Feb. 27, 1897 by the Mirror Publishing Co.

 

The Richland Journal began publishing in 1976 in Richland, Tuscola County, and moved to Galesburg in 1983.

 

The Galesburg and Augusta News began publishing on Nov. 29, 1990.

 

Kalamazoo

Kalamazoo Gazette began publishing on Jan. 23, 1837 by Henry Gilbert. It continues The Michigan Statesman which was published in White Pigeon, St. Joseph County. It was Democratic. The Daily Gazette began publishing in 1872 with A.J. Shakespeare as publisher. It was later called Kalamazoo Morning Gazette. In 1900 this title merged with Kalamazoo Evening News to form The Kalamazoo Gazette=News.

 

Western Banner began publishing circa 1838. It supported the Whig party. It survived four or five years.

 

The Farmers’ Advocate began publishing circa 1841 by E.A. Graves & H.H. Heath. This paper was likely continued by the Advocate of Cass County, which Graves started in 1845.

 

Michigan Literary Gem and Parlor Companion began publishing circa 1841 by H.H. Heath. It was a monthly.

 

Michigan Telegraph began publishing on Sept. 20, 1844 by Henry B. Miller. It began as a Whig paper and later supported the Republican Party. In the fall of 1846 then publishing William Milliken sold the paper to his partner George Torrey, Sr. However, Milliken went on to start another paper by the same name and these two papers published until June 1847. Fire destroyed the plant in Feb. 1850 and it was rebuilt two months later. George A. Fitch purchased the paper in 1850 and then the Stone Bros. in 1866. It later became Kalamazoo Telegraph and then Kalamazoo Weekly Telegraph. There was a semi-weekly edition from 1897-1901. A daily edition was published for two months 1864 during an active time in the ware and started again in 1868. It had the titles, Telegraph, Evening Telegraph, Kalamazoo Daily Telegraph, and Kalamazoo Evening Telegraph. In 1901 it merged with Kalamazoo Evening Press to form Kalamazoo Telegraph Press.

 

Michigan Christian Herald began publishing in Detroit in 1842 by the Michigan Baptist State Convention. In 1862 it moved to Kalamazoo where it published till 1867 when it merged with Christian Times and Witness to form Standard published out of Chicago.

 

Monthly Kalamazoo News began publishing May 1856 by E.B. Booth. By 1890 it had become a semiweekly.

 

The Kalamazoo Velocipede began publishing circa Mar. 1869 by G.E. Dunbar & Co. It was monthly.

 

The Torchlight began publishing circa 1870. It was a Baptist monthly. It was continued by Herald and Torchlight.

 

The Herald and Torchlight began publishing on Jan. 1, 1873 by Rev. L.H. Trowbridge. It was a Baptist paper. It moved to Detroit in Oct. 1873 and in 1876 changed title to Christian Herald.

 

Legal Tender began publishing circa May 1878 by Secord & Verity. It supported the Greenback party. In Oct. 1878 it was absorbed by The Kalamazoo Mail.

 

The Kalamazoo Mail began publishing circa 1878 by C.C. Maynard and C.S. Townsend. By 1882 it was published by F.L. Lord. It sometimes published as The Mail.

 

Daily Times began publishing circa 1881 by Hascall & Earle.

 

The Daily News was publishing by 1883 by Ellis Bros. & Co. The Sunday edition was called Kalamazoo Sunday News.

 

Kalamazoo Herald began publishing circa 1886 by Herald Publishing Co. It ceased circa Apr. 1920 when it merged with Kalamazoo Saturday Night to form Kalamazoo Saturday Night and Herald.

 

Smiley’s Weekly began publishing circa 1890 by Joseph Bert Smiley. It merged with Kalamazoo County Enterprise to form Smiley’s Kalamazoo County Enterprise both published in Galesburg.

 

De Hollandsche Amerikaan began publishing circa 1890 by Holland News & Publishing Co. edited by J.J. Dalm. It was semiweekly, except 1895-1920 when it was triweekly. It was in Dutch. It ceased on Dec. 21, 1945.

 

Kalamazoo Augustinian began publishing circa 1892 by Saint Augustine's Church. For the first year it had the title Kalamazoo Angelus. In July 1905 it became simply The Augustinian.

 

Kalamazoo Evening News began publishing circa 1894. It ceased on Mar. 20, 1900 when it merged with Kalamazoo Morning Gazette to form Kalamazoo Gazette=News.

 

Hometown Gazette was publishing by Jan. 1899.

 

The Kalamazoo Gazette=News began publishing on Mar. 21, 1900 by Kalamazoo Gazette Co. On June 18, 1916 it merged with Kalamazoo Telegraph-Press to form The Gazette-Telegraph.

 

The Kalamazoo Advocate began publishing circa 1905 with William B. Hallett as editor. By 1921 it was published by Advocate Publishing Co.

 

De Schoolbel began publishing on Sept. 7 1905 by P. A. Dalm. It was in Dutch. In 1911 it merged with De Gids to form De Calvinist.

 

Kalamazoo Evening Press began publishing on Feb. 9, 1909 by Edward N. Dingley. It published daily, except Sundays. It ceased on May 13, 1911 when it merged with Kalamazoo Evening Telegraph to form Kalamazoo Telegraph Press.

 

Kalamazoo Telegraph-Press began publishing on May 15, 1911 with E.M. Dingley as editor. It published daily except Sundays. In 1916 it merged with Kalamazoo Gazette to form The Gazette-Telegraph.

 

The Progressive Herald began publishing on Nov. 23, 1912 by E.N. Dingley. It described itself as “The voice of the Progressive Party in Kalamazoo.” It ceased on Dec. 27, 1913.

 

The People began publishing circa 1915 by Truxton Talbot. It was the official paper of the Farmer-Labor Party. On Mar. 16, 1922 it changed titles to People the Merchant and the Manufacturer.

 

The Gazette-Telegraph began publishing on June 19, 1916 by a company of the same name. By Nov. 26 of the same year, the name reverted to Kalamazoo Gazette. In 1923 it was sold to Booth Publishing Co.

 

Teekenen Der Tijden began publishing circa 1917. By 1938 it was published by J. Van Boven. It was in Dutch.

 

Kalamazoo Saturday Night began publishing on Dec. 6, 1919 by a company of the same name. It ceased on Apr. 10, 1920 when it merged with Kalamazoo Herald to form Kalamazoo Saturday Night and Herald. By 1921 the title was Saturday Night.

 

The Kalamazoo Star began publishing circa Oct. 1921 by a company of the same name. It was daily. It was absorbed by Kalamazoo Gazette.

 

People the Merchant and the Manufacturer began publishing on Mar. 23, 1922 by People’s Publishing Co.

 

South Side News-Weekly began publishing circa 1925. By Mar. 1927 it was published by “Bud” A.O. Green. It later published with the titles: South Side News, South Side Weekly, South Side Weekly Herald, South Side Herald. It appeared to change publishers with each variation in title.

 

The Kalamazoo Review began publishing circa 1928.

 

Kalamazoo Citizen began publishing on Oct. 9, 1931 by Wolverine Publishing Co.

 

South Side Advocate began publishing circa 1931 edited by Geraldine “Jerry” Miner.

 

The Kalamazoo News began publishing on Feb. 26, 1932 “owned and published by local interests.”

 

The Independent began publishing on May 12, 1933 by Lawrence Bear.

 

Kalamazoo News Advertiser began publishing circa Dec. 1935 by Merchants Publishing Co.

 

The Forwarder began publishing in July 1948 and ceased in June 1949.

 

Tipper News began publishing circa 1960. By 1974 it was published by Kalamazoo Publishing Co. It was a biweekly.

 

The Kalamazoo Weekly Star began publishing on June 28, 1963 by Ruben E. Cummings. It was an African-American paper.

 

Star Reporter began publishing on Oct. 17, 1964 by Mall City Publishing Co. It was an African-American paper.

 

Weekly Star began publishing on Feb. 18, 1965 with Reuben Cummings as editor. In May 1965 it became Kalamazoo Weekly Star. It was an African-American paper.

 

Focus began publishing on June 10, 1965 by Barbara Mion. It was biweekly till June 1966 when it became a monthly. Jan. 1968 it became Focus News.

 

The Kalamazoo Times began publishing on Jan. 22/29, 1966 by John Bankston and O.L. Williams. It ceased on Mar. 7/13, 1967.

 

Kalamazoo Ledger began publishing on Jan. 6, 1968 by Charles Cade.

 

Patriot began publishing circa Sept. 1970 by Sunshine Publications. It was an alternative paper geared to the university students. Its frequency varied.

 

Metro News began publishing on Oct. 28, 1971 by Len Colby.

 

The Community Courier began publishing on May 25, 1972 by Joseph W. Whitten. It was an African-American paper.

 

Kalamazoo News began publishing on Aug. 24, 1979 by a company of the same name. It was a free weekly.

 

The Final Score (West Michigan ed.) was publishing by Sept. 1988. It was a semi-weekly.

 

Senior Times began publishing on Jan. 1991 by Flashes Pub. It was a monthly.

 

Kalamazoo Downtowner was publishing by Feb. 1994 by TEC Pub. It published 11 times per year.

 

The Other Side was publishing by Nov. 1994 by Tyrone Bynum. It referred to itself as “a grass roots newspaper.”

 

The Kalamazoo Times began publishing circa 1995 out of Grand Rapids. It served the African-American community of south-west Michigan.

 

Mendon

Mendon Activator was publishing by Aug. 1966 by Doug Gould. It included Mendon School Line.

 

Parchment

Parchment News began publishing circa 1923 by Kalamazoo Vegetable Parchment Co. It was weekly till 1949 when it went to biweekly.

 

The Parchment Journal began publishing on May 17, 1954 by Robert and Fern Dorothy.

 

Outlook on Parchment was publishing by Mar. 1987 by Outlook Publications, Flashes Pub.

 

Portage

The Portage Herald began publishing on Nov. 13, 1958 by Julian Publishing Co. It ceased on Nov. 20, 1968 when it merged with Portage Headliner to form Portage Herald-Headliner.

 

Portage Headliner was publishing by Apr. 1967 by Julian Publishing Co. In Nov. 1968 it merged with Portage Herald to form Portage Herald-Headliner.

 

Portage Herald-Headliner began publishing on May 6, 1959 by John Fisher.

 

Portage Headliner News began publishing on Jan. 2, 1980 by Three Rivers Publishing Co. It likely continues Portage Herald-Headliner.

 

Portage Patriot began publishing in June 1984 by a company of the same name.

 

Outlook on Portage was publishing by Oct. 1986 by Outlook Publications, Flashes Pub.

 

Richland

The Richland Village Record was publishing by July, 1971.

 

Schoolcraft

The Schoolcraft Dispatch began publishing on July 1, 1869 by V.C. Smith. It was independent. It ceased in 1872 and was continued by Dispatch and News.

 

The Grange Visitor began publishing in 1875 by “Patrons of Husbandry, Michigan State Grange.” It was devoted to agricultural concerns. I was semi-monthly. It moved to Coldwater in Branch County in 1886.

 

Schoolcraft Express began publishing circa 1884 by H.H. Borgdering. By 1886 it was published by Budrow and Fanckbone.

 

Vicksburg

The Vicksburg Semi-Weekly Monitor began publishing circa late 1875 by C.W. Bailey & Bro. In 1876 it became Vicksburg Monitor.

 

Vicksburg Commercial began publishing Jan. 18, 1879 by Frederick W. Cross & Thornton. It published for a while as Commercial before reverting to the earlier title. In 1901 it became Vicksburg Semi-Weekly Commercial published by John B Penfield and then reverted to its original title in 1933. In Nov. 1977 it became The Commercial-Express.

 

The Vicksburg Twice-a-Week Herald was publishing by 1901 by Dudley Axtell. By 1906 it changed title to The Vicksburg Herald published by L.C. Rapp.

 

The Wolverine Crank began publishing circa early 1904 by Rapp & Mackey. It was a semiweekly.

 

Rural News and Views was publishing by summer 1985 South County Communications. It was quarterly.

 

White Pigeon (St. Joseph County)

Michigan Statesman and St. Joseph Chronicle began publishing circa late 1833 by John D. Defrees and later by Henry Gilbert and Albert R. Chandler. It was Democratic. In 1835 it became Michigan Statesman. It moved to Bronson in 1835 and Kalamazoo in 1836 and became Kalamazoo Gazette in 1837

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.