| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Social distancing? Try a better way to work remotely on your online files. Dokkio, a new product from PBworks, can help your team find, organize, and collaborate on your Drive, Gmail, Dropbox, Box, and Slack files. Sign up for free.

View
 

Ionia County

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 11 years, 8 months ago

 

Ionia history

 

Belding

Belding Telegram began publishing circa Dec. 1877 by William F. Slawson. After less than a year it moved to Greenville, Montcalm County.

 

Belding Home News began publishing on June 19, 1879 by Mudge & Kendall.

 

Belding Star began publishing circa 1883.

 

Belding Banner began publishing circa June, 1889 by Charles W. Cowdin and Embrie B. Lapham. After six months, fire destroyed the plant, however they quickly restarted the paper. In 1918 it merged with Belding News, to form Belding Banner-News.

 

The Belding News began publishing circa April, 1896 by Frank J. Luick. He had previously published papers in Osceola, Allegan, and Kent counties. In 1918 it merged with Belding Banner, to form Belding Banner-News.

 

The Daily Banner began publishing circa 1903 by E.B. Lapham.

 

The Daily Bee began publishing on July 16, 1903 by Ernest B. Blett.

 

The Belding Banner-News began publishing on May 22, 1918 by Banner Publishing Co. It ceased on May 31, 1973.

 

The Banner and Flat River Emporium began publishing on June 7, 1973. After June 12, 1974 it merged with Daily News of Greenville to form Daily News and Belding Banner also published in Greenville.

 

Belding Flat River News began publishing on Nov. 11, 1976 by David W. French.

 

Clarksville

Clarksville Record began publishing on July 1, 1895 by C.W. Compton.

 

Hubbardston

The Advertiser began publishing on Oct. 6, 1870 by Charles W. Seaver. It was shortly taken over by A.V. Phister. It was Republican. It ceased in 1891.

 

Ionia

The Ionia Journal began publishing in Feb. 1843 by M.A. Childs & Ira W. Robinson. It was neutral. It ceased circa 1846. Childs had also published the first newspaper in Ingham County, Ingham Telegraph.

 

The Ionia Democrat began publishing in 1846 by E.D. Burr. (It may have begun in 1843.) It ceased that same year when one October night, someone threw the press and the type into the Grand River.

 

The Ionia Gazette began publishing circa Jan., 1849 by E.R. Powell with equipment formerly used to print The Ionia Journal. It joined the Republican cause, shortly after the formation of the party. It continued until Aug. 1867 when Powell moved the paper to another county.

 

The Ionia Republican began publishing on Apr. 21, 1855 by Isaac H. Conway.

 

Ionia Weekly Journal began publishing circa late 1859 by Wilson & Harkins.

 

The Ionia County Sentinel began publishing on May 1, 1866 by John C. Taylor and Thomas G. Stevenson. It was Republican. On Jan. 1, 1869 it became The Ionia Sentinel and by 1905 The Ionia Weekly Sentinel. Gen. James H. Kidd purchased the paper in 1870. The Daily Sentinel began publishing circa 1887.

 

Ionia County Democrat was publishing circa 1868.

 

The Standard began publishing in 1872 by W.T. Kinsley, J.P. Stevenson, and William E. Kidd (and Robert Baerd?). It continued the Grand River Standard which had been published in Saranac. It was Democratic. It later became The Ionia Standard. In 1918 it merged with Ionia Weekly Sentinel, to form Weekly Sentinel-Standard (title uncertain). A daily edition, The Ionia Daily Standard began publishing circa 1888. It merged with the Ionia Daily Sentinel to form Ionia Daily Sentinel-Standard.

 

Ionia Daily Telephone began publishing circa June 1879 by Dan Youngs.

 

 

The Ionia National began publishing Aug. 23, 1878 by L.P. Brock. It supported the Greenback party. In 1887 Brock sold the paper to Dan C. Wachs who changed the paper’s name to Ionia Express.

 

Ionia Express began publishing circa 1887 by Dan C. Wachs. By 1890 it was publishing by Taylor & Wright. It was later absorbed by The Ionia Standard.

 

Ionia Daily Sentinel-Standard began publishing Apr. 22, 1919 with Frederick McC. Kidd as editor. In Aug. 1921 its title shortened to Ionia Sentinel-Standard but remained a daily. In 1981 the title was shortened to Sentinel-Standard published by James Huckle.

 

Lake Odessa

Lake Odessa News began publishing on Mar. 1, 1888 by Harry F. Walker. After a year the title was changed to Lake Odessa Wave.

 

Lake Odessa Wave began publishing circa 1889 by Harry F. Walker. It published as a semiweekly in the fall of 1892 before going back to weekly. In 1909 it merged with Lake Odessa Times to form Lake Odessa Wave-Times.

 

Lake Odessa Times began publishing on June 3, 1903 by Benjamin and George McMillen. It ceased in 1909 when it merged with Lake Odessa Wave to form Lake Odessa Wave-Times.

 

The Lake Odessa Wave-Times began publishing circa late 1909 by A.J. Dann. In May 1925 it changed titles to Lake Odessa Wave and the Lake Odessa Times. In 1943 it shortened its title to Lake Odessa Wave published by Dann Printing Co.

 

Lyons

Lyons Herald began publishing circa 1855 by Gideon Hendrick. It ceased in 1856 when it was destroyed by fire. It was Democratic.

 

Present Age began publishing circa 1868 by Dorus M. Fox. It ceased after about one year.

 

The Grand River Echo began publishing in 1879 by J.A. Dickey, having moved the paper from Muir.

 

Lyons Herald began publishing circa 1882. By 1887 it was published by D.A. Reynolds.

 

Muir

The Grand River Herald began publishing on Oct. 21, 1871 by Benton Bement. It was independent. It ceased in 1878.

 

Muir Plaindealer began publishing on Oct. 12, 1877 by Miles & Tefft. In Nov. 1877 it moved to Pewamo.

 

Muir Echo began publishing circa 1878 by J.A. Dickey. It moved to Lyons in 1879 and became The Grand River Echo.

 

The Tribune began publishing circa 1885. By 1888 it was published by Thos. E. Jackson. Its title later became The Muir Tribune.

 

Palo

The Palo Post began publishing circa 1873. By Sept. 1900 it was published by Ira S. Jeffers. For a while it published as The Palo Weekly Post. In 1907 it was published by Austin G. Johnson and in 1916 by S. P. Minier.

 

Pewamo

Plaindealer began publishing in Nov. 1877 by Miles & Tefft, having moved the paper from Muir. It was later purchased by Frank E. Doremus. It ceased circa 1885 when Doremus went to Portland to start Portland Review.

 

The Pewamo Item began publishing on Nov. 9, 1894 by Simon R. Wilson. It ceased in 1898.

 

Portland

The Portland Advertiser began publishing on Oct. 24, 1867 by J.H. Wickwire. (The first issue was printed in Grand Rapids.) The following year he sold it to Joseph W. Bailey. In Aug. 1870 it became Portland Observer.

 

Portland Observer began publishing on Aug. 16, 1870 by Joseph W. Bailey. From 1876-1886 it published as Portland Weekly Observer before going back to the earlier title. In July 1939 it merged with Portland Review to form Portland Review & Observer.

 

Portland Review began publishing June 3, 1885 by Frank E. Doremus. By 1918 it was published by Fred J. Maureen. In July 1939 it merged with Portland Observer to form Portland Review & Observer.

 

Portland Review & Observer began publishing in 1939. By Aug. 1969 it was published by Joseph J. Blackmore.

 

Saranac

Grand River Standard began publishing on Mar. 2, 1870. It moved to Ionia in 1872 and became The Standard.

 

The Saranac Reporter began publishing on July 14, 1875 by C.H. Smith. It was independent. It ceased in 1876.

 

The Saranac Local began publishing circa Oct. 1877 by Johnson & Buchanan.

 

The Advertiser began publishing in April, 1893 by Hiram T. Johnson. In 1969 it included on its masthead “Ionia County's most cussed at newspaper.”

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.