| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Social distancing? Try a better way to work remotely on your online files. Dokkio, a new product from PBworks, can help your team find, organize, and collaborate on your Drive, Gmail, Dropbox, Box, and Slack files. Sign up for free.

View
 

Ingham County

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 11 years, 8 months ago

 

Ingham history

 

Dansville

The Dansville Herald began publishing circa 1886 by E.F. Gaylord.

 

East Lansing

The Holcad began publishing on Mar. 10, 1909 by the Michigan Agricultural College. It published during the school year initially weekly, and increased to semi weekly. In 1925 it changed titles to Michigan State News.

 

East Lansing Community Life began publishing on Jan. 10, 1919 by W.S. Kellogg. By 1925 F. H. Fuller was the publisher. It ceased on Sept. 14, 1928 when it became The East Lansing Press.

 

Michigan State News began publishing on Sept. 15, 1925 by Michigan State University. In 1962 it shortened its title to State News.

 

The East Lansing Press began publishing on Sept. 21, 1928 by F.H. Fuller.

 

The Times of East Lansing began publishing on Aug. 26, 1953 by Prine Publications.

 

East Lansing Towne Courier began publishing on Nov. 14, 1962 by the Towne Courier Pub. In 1974 its title was shortened to Towne Courier. In 1999 Town Courier merged with East Lansing Community News to form Community News/Towne Courier.

 

The Paper began publishing on Dec. 3, 1965 by the Students of Michigan State University. Its frequency varied between weekly and biweekly. In 1969 its title was brief changed to Goob Yeak Gergibal before reverting back to The Paper. On May 6, 1970 it became Swill & Squeal, published in “East Lansing, Amerikkka”. Later that year it was called Generation East Lansing. This title merged with Bogue Street Bridge, to form Joint Issue.

 

Bogue Street Bridge began publishing in 1970. It was aimed at the MSU student community. It merged with Generation East Lansing to form Joint Issue.

 

Joint Issue began circa Sept. 1970 and ceased on May 20, 1974. It changed titles to Lansing Star Weekly.

 

The Grapevine Journal began publishing on Sept. 20, 1971. It published a preview issue on July 3, 1971. It published monthly during the school year. It described itself as “... a news publication produced by minority students at Michigan State University.”

 

The Spectacle began publishing circa 1974 by Beni Ortiz and others. It was aimed at the MSU student community.

 

Lansing Star began publishing on Sept. 24, 1974 having briefly been Lansing Star Weekly. Its publication frequency varied between biweekly and monthly. It ceased in the summer of 1983 and became Lansing Beat published out of Lansing.

 

What’s left? Began publishing on June 2, 1980 by “Students for an Aware Majority.” It was continued by People’s Voice.

 

People’s Voice was publishing by July 24, 1980 by “Students for an Aware Majority.” It ceased in the summer of 1983.

 

The Chronicle began publishing on Aug. 15, 1988 by a company of the same name. It began as Capitol Chronicle. This African-American paper served Lansing, Battle Creek and Western Michigan.

 

UR-I (University Reporter-Intelligencer) began publishing on Sept. 27, 1989 aimed at MSU students.

 

East Lansing Community News began publishing on Oct. 4, 1998 by Community News. In 1999 it merged with Towne Courier to form Community News/Towne Courier.

 

Community News/Towne Courier began publishing in 1999 by Community News. There were also Okemos and Haslett editions. It ceased on Mar. 19, 2000 and became East Lansing Towne Courier.

 

East Lansing Towne Courier began publishing on Mar. 26, 2000 by HomeTown Communications Network.

 

Holt

The Holt Recorder began publishing circa 1934 by a company of the same name.

 

The Ingham County Community News began publishing on Feb. 28, 1999 by Community News. It was formed by the union of Ingham County News and Mason Community News.

 

Lansing

Democratic Free Press began publishing on Jan. 11, 1848 by Bagg & John Harmon. This was the first newspaper to publish in Michigan’s new state capital (although it may have been printed in Detroit.) It shortly changed title to The Michigan State Journal.

 

The Michigan State Journal began publishing circa early 1849 by Munger & Pattison. It suspended publication in 1861 or 1862.

 

Primitive Expounder began publishing in Lansing in 1849 by Rev. J.H. Sanford. This paper devoted to the interests of the Universalist denomination had begun in Ann Arbor in 1844. It ceased in 1852.

 

The Lansing State Democrat began publishing on June 6, 1866 by John W. Higgs. This paper was a continuation of The Michigan State Journal. On July 12, 1872 he sold it to William H. Haze and George P. Sanford.

 

The Lansing Republican began publishing on April 28, 1855 by Henry Barns. After two issues, Barns sold the paper to Rufus Hosmer and George A. Fitch with Herman A. Hascall taking over as publisher. In June the title was lengthened to Lansing State Republican. Subsequent publishers include: John A. Kerr, Stephen D. Bingham, and William S. George. A brief daily edition, Lansing Daily Republican ran from June 30-Aug. 12, 1872. The Lansing Semi-Weekly Republican ran from Jan. 1875 through Dec. 1879. The Lansing Tri-Weekly Republican ran from 1880 to 1886.

 

The Lansing Enterprise began publishing circa 1868. By Nov. 1869 it was published by W.F. Cornell. It may have started as North Lansing Enterprise.

 

The Independent began publishing on Oct. 8, 1870 by R.C. Dart. This campaign paper ceased on Nov. 5, 1870.

 

Lansing Herald began publishing circa 1871 by Eugene Thompson. It survived a few months.

 

The Lansing Journal began publishing on July 18, 1872 by George P. Sanford. A daily edition with the same name began circa 1887, with Rowley & Stitt as publishers. In Jan. 1911 it merged with The State Republican to form Lansing Journal-Republican.

 

The Lansing Sentinel began publishing on Nov. 8, 1879 by John M. Potter. It was supportive of the Greenback party. It later changed names to Alliance Sentinel.

 

The Evening Telegram began publishing circa Sept. 1883 by Samuel F. Cook & Co.

 

The Center began publishing circa 1884. By 1888 it was published by William W. Wise.

 

The Torpedo began publishing on Apr. 13, 1884 by J.T. Neal & Co.

 

State Republican began publishing on Jan. 4, 1886 by Thorp & Godfrey. This daily continued The Lansing Tri-Weekly Republican. In Jan. 1911 it merged with it merged with The Lansing Journal to form The Lansing Journal-Republican.

 

North Lansing Chronicle began publishing circa late 1886 by H. Egabroad.

 

The State Democrat began publishing on Sept. 5, 1889 by George P. Sanford. It ceased circa 1895.

 

The Michigan Statesman began publishing on Mar. 20, 1891 by Reynolds & Davies.

 

North Lansing Record began publishing on May 1, 1891 by Baily and Elbert W. Callahan. By 1898 it was published by E.D. Allen.

 

The Lansing Tribune began publishing circa 1898 by the Tribune Pub. Co. It published daily, except Sunday.

 

Lansing Staats-Zeitung began publishing circa 1909. It was in German.

 

The Lansing Journal-Republican began publishing on Jan. 23, 1911 by the Robert Smith Printing Co. It published daily, except Sundays. After less than a month it changed its title to The State Journal.

 

The State Journal began publishing on Feb. 13, 1911 by the Robert Smith Printing Co. It published daily, except Sundays until Sept. 1936, when a Sunday paper was added. It absorbed The Lansing Press in April 1916 and Lansing Capital News in May 1921. It changed titles to Lansing State Journal on Aug. 25, 1980.

 

Lansing Evening Press began publishing on Nov. 11, 1912 by W.S. and William Thomson. It published daily, except Sundays. On June 1, 1915 it changed titles to The Lansing Press. It was absorbed by The State Journal on April 8, 1916.

 

The Gas Mask was publishing by Nov. 1918. This irregularly published paper described itself as “An exponent for clean city government.”

 

The Capital City Booster began publishing on Mar. 28, 1918. According to the paper it “Published when necessary.”

 

The Michigan Republican began publishing circa late 1920 by a company of the same name.

 

Lansing Capital News began publishing on May 26, 1921 by a company of the same name. It published daily, except Sundays. It published its final issue on July 22, 1932, when it was absorbed The State Journal.

 

Lansing Industrial News began publishing circa 1921 by the Lansing Trades and Labor Council. The paper described itself as “The home paper of the industrial worker and the farmer.” After Sept. 25, 1964 it changed titles to Skilled Craftsman and Lansing Industrial News.

 

Broadcasting North Lansing began publishing circa early 1923 by Little Publishing Co.

 

Michigan State Digest began publishing circa May 1, 1926 by a company of the same name. It absorbed The Capital Times and ceased publishing circa 1950.

 

The Forecaster began publishing circa 1928.

 

The South Lansing News began publishing on Sept. 29, 1929. It is likely continued by The South Lansing News and Michigan Veteran Review.

 

The South Lansing Independent began publishing circa 1930 by Campus Press, Inc.

 

East Side News began publishing circa 1931.

 

The North Lansing Times began publishing on Mar. 20, 1931 by Campus Press, Inc.

 

Capital City News began publishing circa May, 1934 by a company of the same name. It eventually changed title to News of Lansing.

 

Capitol Bulletin began publishing on Apr. 15, 1935 by V.E. Vandenburg. It described itself as “A news service for state employees.”

 

News of Lansing was publishing by Mar. 1936 as a continuation of Capital City News. It supported the cause of labor unions.

 

The Voice of Michigan began publishing circa spring 1936 by a company of the same name.

 

The Michigan State Echo began publishing circa 1937 by the Michigan Newspaper Syndicate.

 

The Commentator began publishing circa Jan. 1937 by G.C. Davis. This monthly changed title to The Capital Commentator at the end of the year.

 

Republican Digest began publishing circa late 1937 by the Republican State Central Committee of Michigan. It was a semimonthly.

 

Lansing Auto Worker began publishing on Jan. 19, 1937 by Local 182-United Auto Workers.

 

East Side Lansing press began publishing circa 1938

 

The Democrat began publishing on July 6, 1938 by William A. Baker, Jr.

 

North Lansing Press began publishing circa June, 1939 by S.W. Frankford. By 1946 B.F. Darling was the publisher.

 

East Side Shopping Guide began publishing on Sept. 28, 1939 by S.W. Frankford.

 

The Statesman began publishing on Apr. 23, 1940. It likely became Michigan Statesman which was published by Michigan State Employees Association.

 

The Lansing Township News began publishing on Feb 8, 1941 by George C. Davis.

 

The Lansing Press began publishing on Jan. 1, 1941 by George C. Davis.

 

The South Lansing News and Michigan Veteran Review was publishing by Mar. 1956 by C.L. Barker. It may continue South Lansing News.

 

The Capitol Digest was publishing by July, 1956 by Seth H. Whitmore. It may be a continuation of Michigan State Digest.

 

The Michigan Reporter began publishing circa April, 1958 by Inside Michigan Publishers. This monthly described itself as “A public affairs news service for taxpayers.”

 

The Lansing Post began publishing on May 17, 1963 by the Fowler Post. It was published out of Fowler, but aimed at Lansing. This was an African American monthly.

 

Skilled Craftsman and Lansing Industrial News published from 1964 to 1966 before shortening the title to Skilled Craftsman. It was endorsed by the Greater Lansing Labor Council.

 

The Inner City Times began publishing on Nov. 20, 1968 by a company of the same name. It was an African-American paper.

 

Westside News began publishing on May 3, 1969 by Westside Community Enterprise. It was an African-American paper.

 

Sol de Aztlan was publishing by Mar. 1970. This monthly was in Spanish and English.

 

El Renacimiento began publishing in Mar. 1970 by a company of the same name. This Spanish language paper began as a semimonthly and became a monthly by 1973.

 

Red Apple News began publishing circa Oct. 1970. This alternative press biweekly was absorbed by Joint Issue of East Lansing.

 

The Lansing Times began publishing on June 28, 1975 by a company of the same name. It was an African-American paper.

 

Michigan Free Press (Mid-Michigan ed.) began publishing on Mar. 8, 1976 with George dePue as editor. This alternative press paper also published a Huron Valley edition.

 

The Community Gazette began publishing circa Sept. 1979 by Tyrone Robinson.

 

Response began publishing circa 1980 by a company of the same name. This was an African-American monthly.

 

Lansing Beat began publishing in Sept., 1983. It continues Lansing Star of East Lansing. In 1986 it changed from a biweekly, to a monthly. It emphasized local arts and politics.

 

Metroplex began publishing circa 1985 by a company of the same name. This African-American paper published irregularly. By Nov. 1987 its title was lengthened to The Metroplex Michigan and by 1994 to Metroplex News.

 

Capital Times began publishing on April 23, 1986 by a company of the same name. It changed to Lansing Capital Times in June of the same year. It referred to itself as “Greater Lansing’s news and entertainment bi-weekly.” Its publication frequency varied between biweekly and monthly.

 

Active Transformation began publishing circa early 1994 by LCC [Lansing Community College] Students for Environmental Action. It was a quarterly.

 

The Michigan Bulletin began publishing in 1995 by a company of the same name. This African-American monthly covered “Lansing, Jackson, Battle Creek, Flint, Ann Arbor & Ypsilanti.”

 

The New Citizens Press began publishing circa early 2002 by Rina N. Risper. It is an African-American biweekly.

 

Leslie

The Leslie Herald began publishing in 1868 by Vanvelsor and Ford. It ceased in 1876.

 

The Leslie Local began publishing on Aug. 26, 1876 by William W. Cook. It merged with Leslie Republican to form Local-Republican.

 

The Local-Republican began publishing circa early 1890s with B.M. Gould as publisher. It became Leslie Local-Republican in 1929 with W.M. and N.A. Miller as publishers. In 1966 it became The Leslie Local-Republican News and Advertiser published by Mr. and Mrs. John S. Gingas. A year later “Advertiser” was changed to “Shopper”. On January 7, 1970 its title changed to The Leslie Local Independent and Leslie Local Republican published by James W. Swartz, Jr., Sally Derrickson.

 

Mason

Ingham Telegraph began publishing in April, 1842 by Mark A. Childs. It was Whig. It ceased in December.

 

Peninsular Star began publishing circa 1844 by G.W. Raney & J.H. Wells.

 

Ingham Herald began publishing circa Dec. 1844 by Child & Stillman. It was Whig.

 

Ingham Democrat began publishing on Mar. 28, 1845 by Storey & Cheney. Wilbur Storey had rushed up from Jackson to begin this newspaper upon news that Mason needed a Democratic paper to print the tax list. Storey later became publisher at the Detroit Free Press and Chicago Times.

 

Masonian Times began publishing on Aug. 15, 1845 by H.J. Dacre.

 

The Ingham County Herald was publishing before 1859 by D.W.C. Smith.

 

The Ingham County News began publishing on June 23, 1859 by D.B. Harrington. Its first issues were printed with the type used to print Michigan Essay, Michigan’s first newspaper. Reflecting back this first issue Harrington wrote “one single glance over its columns produces a sensation similar to having your hair combed with a three-legged stool by a spunky wife.” (Pioneer history of Ingham County, Adams, p. 148.) For a few years it had the title Ingham County Weekly News. It absorbed the Ingham County Democrat. In 1999 it changed titles to Ingham County Community News.

 

Ingham County Democrat began publishing on June 2, 1876 by J. Vernon Johnson. It ceased on Mar. 28, 1917 and was absorbed by The Ingham County News.

 

Okemos

Meridian Township News began publishing circa 1936 by Frederick Gigax. By 1938 it became East Lansing-Meridian News. According to the paper it served “East Lansing, Okemos, Haslett, Lakeside.”

 

Stockbridge

The Stockbridge Sun began publishing circa 1884. By 1886 it was published by William B. Gildart.

 

Stockbridge Sentinel began publishing on Feb. 9, 1883 by H.H. Freeman.

 

The Brief began publishing on July 23, 1896 by H.W. Morgan. In 1904 it became The Stockbridge Brief and published until Aug. 8, 1907. It merged with The Stockbridge Sun, to form Stockbridge Brief-Sun.

 

The Stockbridge Brief-Sun began publishing on Aug. 15, 1907 by H.W. Morgan. After its final issue on May 27, 1965, it merged with the Town Crier to form Town Crier and Stockbridge Brief-Sun.

 

The Town Crier and Stockbridge Brief-Sun published from June 2, 1965 to June 14, 1967 before the title was shortened to The Town Crier.

 

Williamston

The Williamston Enterprise began publishing on June 5, 1873 by William S. Humphrey & Campbell. Its title was eventually shortened to Enterprise.

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.