| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Stop wasting time looking for files and revisions. Connect your Gmail, DriveDropbox, and Slack accounts and in less than 2 minutes, Dokkio will automatically organize all your file attachments. Learn more and claim your free account.

View
 

Houghton County

Page history last edited by kevin driedger 12 years ago

 

Houghton history

 

Calumet (earlier know as Red Jacket)

Amerikan Suomalainen Lehti=The American-Finnish Journal began publishing July 4, 1879 by Alex Leinonen. It was in Finnish. At its most popular, it printed 800 copies an issue, 300 of which went to Finland. It moved to Hancock in 1892 and Chicago in 1894 where it soon ceased publishing.

 

The Calumet and Red Jacket News began publishing circa 1881. By 1889 it was published by Fred Mackenzie.

 

Amerikan Uutiset began publishing circa 1886 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 1893 Fred Karinen brought the paper to Calumet. It was in Finnish, and in 1900 increased to semiweekly.

 

Kansan Lehti [People’s Paper] began publishing on Nov. 5, 1889 by Ino Ekman. It was in Finnish and survived about a year.

 

Uusi Kansan Lehti [New People’s Paper] began publishing circa 1890 by D. Suoranen. It was in Finnish.

 

Kalevan Kaiku [Echo of the Kaleva] began publishing circa 1890 by Hannes Hela. It was in Finnish. It was absorbed by Amerikan Uutiset.

 

Calumet Conglomerate began publishing circa 1891 by the Conglomerate Printing Co.

 

Joutoajan Toveri was publishing by Jan. 1891 by Nick Sorvisto. It was in Finnish.

 

Päivän Uutiset [Daily News] began publishing circa 1891 by Ino Ekman. It was in Finnish. The Saturday edition was titled Viikon Uutiset [Weekly News]. It likely ceased in 1891.

 

Väinöla was publishing by July, 1892 in Finnish.

 

The Copper Country Evening News began publishing as a daily circa 1893. By 1896, Fred Mackenzie was the publisher. On Oct. 22, 1907 it was continued by The Calumet News. By then it was owned by the Mining Gazette Co. It was continued by The Evening News-Journal

 

Suometar began publishing June 10, 1899 by J.W. Eloheimo. It was in Finnish.

 

Amerikan Suometar began publishing circa 1900 by Finnish Lutheran Book Concern. This Finnish language paper began as a weekly, increased to triweekly for about fifty years, and changed by to a weekly.

 

Päivälehti [Daily Paper] began publishing in the spring of 1901 by Kalle Haapakoski, John H. Harpet, and Sanfrid Mustonen. It was said to be the most important Finnish-language newspaper in Michigan. It was Republican. It moved to Duluth, Minnesota in Feb. 1914 where it published till 1948.

 

Calumet Posten began publishing in 1901 by Otto Leonardson. It was in Swedish.

 

The Independent began publishing in the fall of 1904 by Independent Political Club.

 

Valvoja (or Walwoja) [Guardian] began publishing on Dec 10, 1915 by the Finnish Republican Printing Co. This Finnish language publication varied between semi-weekly and tri-weekly. After June 19, 1957 it merged with Opas to form Pohjolan Sanomat, both of Calumet.

 

Lauantiposti began publishing on Jan. 12, 1918 by Saturday Post Publishing Co. It was in Finnish.

 

Opas [Guide] began publishing on May 31, 1930 by the Copper Country Printing Co. initially twice-a-week, and the increasing to thrice-a-week. After June 19, 1957 it merged with Valvoja to form Pohjolan Sanomat.

 

The Evening News-Journal began publishing on June 27, 1938 by the Mining Gazette Co. It published its last on May 1, 1943 and was then absorbed into The Daily Mining Gazette of Houghton.

 

Pohjolan Sanomat = Northland News began publishing on June 22, 1957 by Northland Pub. Co. This semiweekly was formed by the merger of Valvoja and Opas. It was in Finnish and English. In 1959 it became a weekly titled Amerikan Sanomat and ceased publishing in June 1960.

 

The Copper Country News began publishing on Apr. 16, 1959 by Northland Pub. Co.

 

Copper Island Sentinel began publishing on Apr. 4, 1978 by Ed Danner. It ceased in the 1980s.

 

Hancock

Amerikan Suomalainen Lehti began publishing on April 14, 1876 by Antti J. Muikku. It was printed on a press owned by E.P. Kibbee. It was in Finnish and was Republican. It ceased publishing in July 1876.

 

Hancock Times began publishing on Nov. 3, 1870 by Hamilton, Scott & Co. It published with irregular frequency.

 

The Northwestern Mining Journal began publishing on May 1, 1873 by Edward P. Kibber and Wilson.

 

Sankarin Maine [Hero’s Record] began publishing circa October, 1878 by Matti Fred. It continued Sven Tuuva which he had published in Houghton. It was in Finnish.

 

The Portage Lake Herald began publishing on May 13, 1884 by T.J. Prince and Co. In 1885 it was succeeded by Hancock Mining Herald.

 

The Evening Copper Journal began publishing as Michigan Copper Journal circa 1883. In 1891 it was published by T.J. Prince. In 1901 it merged with Houghton County Progress to form Hancock Evening Journal.

 

Houghton County Progress was publishing by June, 1894 by Progress Publishing Co. In 1901 it merged with the Michigan Copper Journal to form Hancock Evening Journal.

 

Kuparisaaren Sanomat [Copper Country Tidings] began publishing in 1894 by Emil Hendrickson. It was in Finnish. It was purchased by Victor Burman and its title changed to Amerikan Suomalainen.

 

Amerikan Suomalainen began publishing in Chicago, IL in 1894 by Victor Mauritz Burman. It moved to Hancock in Jan., 1897 and published there till it ceased in May 27, 1899. It was in Finnish.

 

Daily Copper Journal began publishing circa Apr. 27, 1898 by T.J. Prince.

 

Hancock Evening Journal began publishing in 1901 and then in 1904 the title was shortened to Evening Journal. In 1909 it became The Evening Copper Journal.

 

Työmies =Workingman began publishing circa 1904. It continued Amerikan Suomalainen työmies which had been published in Worcester, Mass. It initially published as a triweekly, and increased to every weekday in 1911. On its masthead read “Finnish Socialist Organ.” The paper moved to Superior, Wis. after Oct. 12, 1914 and published till 1921.

 

Lännen Sanomat was publishing by Feb. 1905 by the Finnish Lutheran Book Concern. It was in Finnish.

 

The Progress began publishing in 1905 by A.D. Pettit.

 

Miner’s Bulletin began publishing in 1913 by the Western Federation of Miners. It was in English and Italian. It described itself, “Published by the authority of Western Federation of Miners to tell the truth regarding the strike of copper miners.” The strike lasted from 1913 to 1914.

 

Lauantain Posti = Saturday Post began publishing on Dec. 12, 1914 by John G. Tuira & Co. It was in Finnish.

 

Copper Country Review was a monthly that began publishing circa Oct. 1965 with Merle C. Zychowski and Ruth Wisti as co-editors.

 

Houghton

Mining Gazette began publishing on June 16, 1859 by J.R. Devereaux. Five years later the title was lengthened to Portage Lake Mining Gazette published by H. McKenzie.

 

Sven Tuuva (or Swen Tuuwa) began publishing on Jan. 25, 1878 by Matti Fredd. It was in Finnish. In October it moved to Hancock and changed its title to Sankarin Maine.

 

The Daily Mining Gazette began publishing on Sept. 14, 1899 continuing the Portage Lake Mining Gazette. On May 2, 1943 it absorbed Evening News-Journal of Calumet.

 

Peninsula News began publishing Jan. 30, 1994 by Frank Murphy. It ceased June 11, 1999.

 

Upper Peninsula Post began publishing on July 16, 1995 by a company of the same name and ceased on March 24, 1996.

 

Lake Linden

The Native Copper Times began publishing as Torch Lake Times circa 1883 by Wilson & Laube. In Feb. 1893 it changed titles and published until May 26, 1971.

 

L'union Franco-Américaine began publishing in 1889 with T. St. Pierre as editor. It ceased in circa 1891. It was in French.

 

Le Courrier du Michigan began publishing as a French language monthly in Aug. 1912 by P.E. Mayrand. It ceased in 1957.

 

Larium

Il Minatore Italiano began publishing as a daily circa 1897. It was published in Italian and English.

 

Sidnaw

The Sidnaw Journal began publishing circa 1898 by Will E. Holbein.

 

The Sidnaw Record began publishing circa 1899 by Hasbrouck & Hand.

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.